VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    This query is not 100% on topic, but I think it fits here better than elsewhere.

Does anyone make, for lack of a better term, a powered usb cable?

Lots of usb host devices (pcs, portable dvd players, etc...) don't provide enough current over their usb bus to power some power-hungry "usb bus-powered" devices, such as external 2.5" hard drives. If you have two usb host ports available, you can use a usb Y cable which draws power from two host usb ports to supply a single usb mini port. It seems to me that since a usb (pre usb 3) consists of only four conductors, of which one pair is for data and one pair for power, that you could make a cable which carries the data between the host and device, supplies power over the other pair by mains of an AC-DC (home) or a DC-DC (car) transformer. It would be a little clunky, but it would work. I've searched, but can find nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. i use a powered usb hub. it has it's own ac-dc converter and provides power on the usb line even when the computer is off so you can recharge usb devices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is probably not what you're asking, but here's my two cents:

I was trying to transfer data from a desktop to a laptop using and external 3.5" drive. The laptop only had one (working) usb port , which couldn't quite power the drive. Solution: The drive already had a y-cable, so I plugged the other cable into one of those usb-ac adapters and it worked fine

This kind of thing
    Quote Quote