VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Staples did not have any Verbatim, TDK or Maxwell discs, so I tried their own store brand and Memorex, DVD-RW , 4X. The recorder would not format these discs. Is this because they are 4X and not 2X, or just plain crap, or both?
    No problems with my depleting supply of old Verbatims and TDK's, so it is the discs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not as good as Verbatim & Sony, that's for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The ONLY reliable re-writable media is Verbatim - period. Memorex makes the worst media I ever personally bought (before I knew any better). TDK used to be good in the past but is crap now. Sony in North America can be hit or miss. They use both the best and the worst manufacturers and it's a crap shoot as to which you get. Verbatim is the only company that consistently uses the highest quality manufacturers for re-writable DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Its probably both: the Staples house brand is made by CMC, which also makes 70% of all the other crap out there under different brand names, even some Verbatims. Aside from the occasional good Verbatim spindle, CMC media sends most older recorders into meltdown: they don't even recognize CMC media as a legitimate disc. The DRM-10 also predates 4x R/W by a wide margin, see if you can shop online for more of the 2.4x Verbatims that you know work well in your recorder. Or switch to DVD-RAM for your rewritable tasks, the DRM10 can use that too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That JVC is only compatible with 2x RWs, unless there's been a firmware update to allow 4x discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get some Sony 2x DVD-RW from Walmart, Walgreens, Target, or Staples.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got some Verbatim 2X on Ebay and they work fine.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote