VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok here is the story. I installed IE* last night (thinking it's the problem) and today when i try to shrink 5 movies at a time (before no problem), the system is at a halt. I need to close them all and leave just one running. I took a snap shot of my task manager for you guys to see without dvdshrink running. Can someone tell me if i have too much running in background? What to take out? I tried to recover from system restore, but it was only this afternoon 3:00 pm snapshot. Lost yesterday's. Hope someone can advice please. I have Vista 64, 4GB Ram, 3.02 Mghz Dual Processor, Nvidia 9800 512Mb system. All Hard Drives (3 of them) 300 10,000 RPM Velociraptor. Thanks

processes.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  2. you need to click the little box at the bottom of the task manager to "show processes from all users". your list show 3% cpu but the total is 53%. something else is running and using 50% of your cpu under a different account.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i took 2 more snap shots since i could not fit it into 1 snap shot, your opinion again? You see i don't know if IE8 installed last night is causing this or something else, but i could always remember having 3-4 dvdshrinks encoding while on the internet, not forget it.

proc%201.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is snapshot 2

proc%202.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    now running 2 dvdshrink snapshot
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry forgot snapshot

3-24-2009%208-40-59%20pm.jpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Turn off video preview, you don't need it and can make a massive difference in encoding times especially if you are trying to run 2 or more instances of DVD Shrink at once

Also, it sounds silly, but turn off automatic compression if it will fit on a single DVD, this can also lead to a big speed-up. Why I don't know, but it does. Maybe it tries to compress the DVD then realises it will fit but carries on trying to compress it anyway, but doesn't compress it, so its doing all that work for nothing which wastes yet more CPU time

Under preferences try changing to run the video preview and backup in low priority, that way more time is given to more than once task

Defrag your drive, if its badly fragmented DVD Shrink slows to a crawl, especially if you have something that is doing a lot of disk access at the same time. I use DisKeeper 2008 that runs in the background and runs a defrag when it has spares time so eventually it does a defrag over an extended period of tiem and also monitors when to defrag, keep sit ticking over without having to do a full defrag and nothing else. It works for me, some hate Diskeeper but I find it better than others I've tried

If possible and you insist on running multiple DVD Shrink instances, try doing them on different hard drives, otherwise if its all on one hard drive the head will be going backwards and forwards that much trying to move between all the jobs you are running it will seriously effect performance. Like trying to do 5 things at once, you can only do so much at once in the time you have
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i forgot about turning off video preview, BUT before i had no problem with them on. I also run it with compression since it's greater than dvd-5, again never had problems with it before. I use PerfectDisk 10 defragment software, i defragmented this morning, i never did try to run on different hd, i can try that, but again i never had problems before. I dont know why i have them now. I installed last week Nvidia 9800 video card with 512 MB, before i had 256 MB. Could that be a cause now?
    Quote Quote