VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to pull some of the tv shows off of my Comcast DVR.
    Motorola model #DCN3416

Although I suspected it would not work I pulled the hard drive and hooked it up to my pc (windows XP).
    The computer recognized it...I was able to see it in 'disk management' but it was listed as unknown.

Is it safe to assume the Comcast dvr is using Linux and this is the problem?

Anyway, I know the files can be transferred to my pc some way...

2. Member
    Search PM
    Connect a DVD recorder or VCR to the DVR. AV line one out to the DVD recorder, AV out of DVD recorder to "in" on TV. Select the show you want to record and select "record on the recorder" and play the show on the DVR.
    TN VOL

"Those who fail are those who fail to try."

Search Comp PM
    I was hoping there was a way to just pull the files from the hard drive to my pc and watch from my htpc or popcorn hour.

I do not have a dvd recorder and have not owned a vcr for over 10 years.

Perhaps I am wrong and this can't be done but you would think it would be possible....

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are some threads on this subject, if you care to do a search.

Here's one : https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/comcast-dvr-to-pc-t295631.html

Here's another: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic315279.html

The upshot is that much of what you may want to copy is going to be encrypted and/or copy protected. I doubt that they've made it any easier with newer DVRs.

Search PM
    Having been a party to those threads (and others), I can summarize a little for you:

The drive is 60/80/120/160GB, with 2 partitions, both being GPFS (IBM/Linux Hi-Performance Server filesystem) with NON-standard partition ID#s (to make life more difficult?).
    The 1st partition is the metadata (~200-800MB), scheduling/movie info/pointers or aliases. This is NOT encrypted; it is human-readable text for the most part.
    The 2nd holds actual media (the remaining space, up to the size of the drive or 120/160GB, whichever is SMALLER), but AFAIK, ALL files are encrypted with whatever encryption is available on GPFS, and the key is tied to the STB serial # (so you can't even take the drive from one STB and move it to another, unless you just want to reformat and lose everything).

Drive size limits are locked in firmware, so can't be exceeded until a new firmware is released by Motorola. Long wait.
    IOW, you can put in a new HD of any larger size, but the max available would still be 120 or 160GB, depending upon model, no matter what.

You can hack the internal SATA port and swap using bracket etc to send it to External port so that you can SWAP HDs (each of 120/160GB usable space. But this hack isn't easy, and you had batter OWN your STB outright! Plus this only helps you to temporarily time/space shift on that 1 box and it's not a hot-swap so you have to shut down 1st.

Most likely scenario of use would be to use the Firewire port to record the TS stream to a PC/Mac while watching/recording live material that isn't 5C copy-protected. If it is 5C, you're SOL, unless you want to go the Analog output (Component/SVideo/Composite)-->TBC-->Analog CaptureCard-->Reencode method, but that means a certain amount to quality loss (least loss would be if you're staying Component HD).

For the present, those are the ONLY options. This goes for most of the Moto boxes (some have less choice than that).

Scott

Search Comp PM
    Ok, so basically from what you are telling me this is not worth the effort.
    It's just not that important.

I'm kind of shocked that the copy protection is that big of an issue. Every other protection out there can be beat...even BD's. You would think there would be a way around that.

Shit, I only want to get a few shows from the G4 channel...not the latest movies!!!

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Search PM
    G4 is probably NOT 5C copy-protected, so in that case, the live Firewire-out-to-PCcap option is doable for you.

Otherwise, yeah, it's a mess best left alone. Get an HTPC with a cable card or something if it WERE a big deal for you.

Scott

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    has anyone tried doing a hot swap to a pc. in my head its the same concept at opening the xbox hdd

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia is correct. I've recorded numerous programs from my cable box. Basically, you have to install the drivers for the Motorola brand DVR. Once installed and rebooted, start the capture program and play back the program. Once captured, convert the stream to the format you desire, or burn it to DVD.

Of course, you have to have a Firewire port on your PC. I have an old Pinnacle Studio card that still works quite well.

10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    CBrianA - We really prefer that you NOT dig up old threads to add to them. After 3 years the people who cared are no longer waiting for answers and they've either found a solution or moved on with their lives.

The drivers do NOT work on all Motorola DVRs and they do NOT work at all on 64 bit Windows. Future readers need to know that. The author is completely uninterested in writing 64 bit versions of his drivers. People have tried in desperation to pay others to write the 64 bit drivers. ALL of those efforts have ended in failure. The 32 bit drivers do work in 32 bit Windows up through Win 7 as I write this. I don't care enough to look to see if Win 8 works or not, but 64 bit Win 8 definitely won't work.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    CBrianA - We really prefer that you NOT dig up old threads to add to them. After 3 years the people who cared are no longer waiting for answers and they've either found a solution or moved on with their lives.
    Heh... I got the email saying a reply was made to this... I don't even have cable anymore

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I beg to differ. I appreciate threads that get updated over time along with updates in the technology used. The person that started the thread isn't the only person in the history/future of mankind to have that question, and internet searches for information (like mine)will continue to bring traffic to the thread until it's deleted. Thanks to everyone who's ever updated an old thread! If it's so offensive to you that threads get updated, then delete the thread! Thanks

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ajhill80 View Post
    I beg to differ. I appreciate threads that get updated over time along with updates in the technology used. The person that started the thread isn't the only person in the history/future of mankind to have that question, and internet searches for information (like mine)will continue to bring traffic to the thread until it's deleted. Thanks to everyone who's ever updated an old thread! If it's so offensive to you that threads get updated, then delete the thread! Thanks
    Your existence must be truly dull and pointless if you have to dig this thread up to complain about another post after 2 years to amuse yourself.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I imagine my existence to be a bit more entertaining than that of a person who has been a member of a "video help" forum since 2006 and monitors the site to the point that you don't waste a second in trying to put someone down, regardless of the validity of their point. I clicked the link in google since it had a relatively "current" date, and found my time wasted by another douche trying to make a snarky comment, just like you! Your site sucks, I'll never be back, and you are a douche. Happy thanksgiving, nimrod!

Search PM
    Don't let the door bump your ass on the way out!

Scott

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just as I thought. ajhill80 confirmed he's a troll. LOL

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Actually I read his first post, which contained valid points and he wasn't trolling at all. As long as this thread remains on this forum, ajhill80's comments are legit. Search engines still direct traffic to this thread as long as it remains up. And as long as that happens, it's actually a good thing that people update it with more current information.
    You might want to square up on your definition of "trolling." Rather than cutting people down for making a legit point, this site would be better served offering usable information on the topic of discussion.
    And if the topic is deemed no longer relevant, then take it down. Otherwise people will continue to be directed here, in 2015, either looking for or providing current information.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Riezo View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Actually I read his first post, which contained valid points and he wasn't trolling at all. As long as this thread remains on this forum, ajhill80's comments are legit. Search engines still direct traffic to this thread as long as it remains up. And as long as that happens, it's actually a good thing that people update it with more current information.
    You might want to square up on your definition of "trolling." Rather than cutting people down for making a legit point, this site would be better served offering usable information on the topic of discussion.
    And if the topic is deemed no longer relevant, then take it down. Otherwise people will continue to be directed here, in 2015, either looking for or providing current information.
    By Wikipedia's definition, a troll is someone "who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community."

Neither of you had any valid points to add that pertain to the stated subject of this thread, so you were both off-topic. Your replies are purely attempts to pick a fight. That makes you both trolls.

The management here doesn't automatically close threads to new posts after a certain time has passed because he expects people to exercise a little discretion in their grave-robbing. Unfortunately lots of people haven't a clue about netiquette or like you, don't care about it.

[Edit]Now, if anyone wants current information for 2015... Nothing has changed with respect to copying files from the HDD. There is currently a snowball's chance in hell of recording anything from a Comcast cable box or DVR using FireWire. The FCC has dropped the requirement to provide a working FireWire connection, so they are likely disabled, plus Comcast has protected every digital channel to prevent FireWire recording. CableCARD tuners and HDMI/Component Video capture still work fine as described above. I have used both in the past 6 months,
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Jun 2015 at 23:32.

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Neither of you had any valid points"

The thread already has devolved into an argument. I didn't start it. If it had stayed on topic to begin with, then I might have actually found some useful information I was looking for. Instead I found a bunch of useless posts like yours that offered nothing towards what I was looking for. The lack of "netiquette" was in the responses to his original post, including yours. Particularly yours. It wasn't appropriate at all and not the way to counter a valid point. He wasn't the first to lose "netiquette" in the exchange. You were. He might have taken your lack of "netiquette" to another level in his next response to you but what did you expect?

The fact remains. If the mods don't want this topic updated, then it should be closed. People in 2015 still are looking for info on how to transfer data from a DVR and search engines are still directing people to this 9 year old thread. Good info on the subject is a bit hard to come by. ajhill80 didn't come here to complain three years later, he came here three years later to find relevant info, like me. The more recent the information, the better.

20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Time to close this thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.