VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need a good capture card within $150 dollars or so for a good capture card that is region free, i already have a vhs player.
    Although my vhs player is 10 years old, should i get a new one? if so could you recommend me a good one that you have good experience with that is around $100 dollars. This would be a real help!

Also i want to later look into cleaning up the video as the vhs cassettes are really old, so i fear they may have "artifacts" and such. Would i have to fix this with software or hardware, and before or after. Please keep in mind i can not afford the expensive 600 dollar system like the Canopus ADVC-300 that does it for you. Is there a cheap cost effective hardware method or software?

I have looked into this a lot, some people say that pinnacle and hauppage cards sometimes are not good at this, so i would like one that someone has good personal experience about.

Past that i am sure i will be able to convert the videos into dvd or such, i am sure software will be able to do such, i am very computer literate so it should be a problem. Please let me know if i am wrong here.

Also im not interested in a pal vhs to ntsc dvd recorder unless you know for it to perform really well and better than or comparable to pc in my price range.

In summary:
    - a good capture card that you know performs well for its price (approx up to $150)
    - do i need a new vhs reciever? if so recommend in $100 range.
    - any video enhancing options? should i need hardware or software? (looking for really cheap cost effective hardware, i know it might not be possible)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    any recommendations?
    any guidance?

PLZ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need to properly address the PAL VHS in an NTSC environment situation first. You say you "already have a vhs player". Is it a PAL VHS player?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes it is a pal vhs player, but its about 10 years old, should i replace it?
    i basically want the clearest quality conversion into ntsc format on my computer. I am sure that there are many ways of using the computer to convert to ntsc after, so i just want to get the vhs videos in the clearest possible quality onto my computer in about $200.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Actually I MUCH prefer a hardware conversion between PAL<>NTSC over computer conversion.
    BUT...since neither you nor I have the bucks for a decent hardware converter...your going to need a PAL format capture card for your computer....or one of those USB "things" that I have no experience with.

That tape better REALLY important (IE...not released to DVD) cause this can get expensive....especially for one tape.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    they are home videos i want to convert.

so i really need to get them done. I need a good suggestion for a card that people know works well, i have heard even the brand names sometime don't perform as well as a cheaper card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I personally chose a Hauppauge PVR-350. It encodes to MPEG2 "on the fly" to save wear and tear on the computer's processor.....so to speak. I bought mine used (Ebay) and it works perfectly....used it last night as a matter of fact. You can download all of the software and drivers directly from Hauppauge's website(in case you get a used one like me with no software disc)....and you can get them pretty damn cheap. You'll probably need to get yours from "over here" in PAL-Land.
    Quote Quote