VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm contemplating on upgrading my computer from an AMD X2 4200 to a X4 9500. I'm thinking I'll need to replace my power supply with something a little more beefier then my Enermax 460W...

Is the Rosewill a good brand?

This 600W looks like a good price...

http://www.rosewill.com/products/s_390/productDetail.htm

Two of my four computers use Enermax, another a Corsair ps and the 4th is using a generic...

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    why would 460w not be enough? Do you have a massive fire-breathing video card?

you only need what is required to run all your components.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm thinking about upgrading from a X2 4200 socket 939 to aX4 9500. Won't the quad require more horsepower?

My video card is a Nvidia 8500 GT with 1gb of memory.....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Rosewill is NOT a good brand,look at the reviews at Newegg.com before buying.
    As for the wattage,460w should be enough as long as it has all of the latest connectors.
    Quote Quote  
  5. corsair would be my first choice, then maybe an ocz. rosewill's not a bad chinese brand but i just wouldn't trust them for power supplies. newegg.com has corsairs with rebates available this week and they are 80 plus certified.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most newer CPUs use about the same amount of power as the older ones. Check the CPU specs. Unless it's a 120W+ CPU, your existing PS should be fine. A CPU uses most of it's power on the CPU rail, usually 1.3VDC. Some cheaper PS's may have a low rating there, but have a higher one on the 12VDC rail. You need to read the actual outputs from each rail, not just the overall PS wattage.

I agree with the other posters. A cheap power supply is not a good way to save money. If it fails, it could destroy your entire computer, motherboard, CPU and drives. Not worth the risk. I've had it happen a couple of times.

Just to mention, I've ran two servers, each with nine hard drives, six fans, and a DVD burner with 400W PS's. But the video cards wern't high end. If you have a dual SLI video card setup then maybe 600W might be more in line. But it's easy enough to check your video card power draw, it should be in the specifications.

Also, cheaper power supplies may be rated fairly high, but that's on paper. A quality PS will weight quite a bit more than a equivalently rated cheap one. And a good PS will run a lot cooler and quieter and last a lot longer.

One easy check of your existing PS is to see what temperature the air exhausting from it is. If it's very warm like a hair blow dryer, then it's lifetime may be shorter and I would consider upgrading.

I mostly use Thermaltake PS's, but I have a Seasonic, a OCZ, a Corsair, and a couple of Antec PS's, rated from 350W to 600W. They are all good brands, IMO.
    Quote Quote