VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My LCD TV has some sort of lines on the screen thats JUST visible in dull scenes when camera pans around - especially if the whole screen is filled with a dull color

it happens on ALL inputs

SKY through SCART or ARIEL
    HDMI DVD Player though HDMI
    SKY+HD through HDMI

My take on it is that the heat off the lamps in the back have 'warped' the LCD panel causing the lines to appear , it is just over 1 year old (out of warranty) , ive had it on day & night quite a lot... its just a crappy BUSH 32" - it was £399 , just after buying it all the prices dropped and quality if generic builds got better

does anyone know what this is and if it can be fixed?

ive included an image and ive drawn on where the lines are - they just look a bit lighter than the rest of pixels but when ive had the screen filled with one colour im almost certain its warped panel giving like a rippled effect....

EDIT: JUST READ SOMEWHERE THAT IT COULD BE VERTICAL BANDING

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is Vertical Banding, you should contact the manufacturer and see what their policy is - if they are a major brand, they should do something for you. If they are an off brand, they might help you - if it was POLAROID, you would definitely be SOL
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  3. its a crappy BUSH 32"

we got one from ARGOS 18 months ago - 6 months in and 1 line of pixels appeared darker down the screen so we got it changed under warranty , the next model was different (externally - the panel and build is same) and this one has been ok for last 10 months , its only in past few months ive started noticing it - so its out of warranty but only just....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in the US, so I never heard of BUSH except for........well, nevermind.

Can you post a screen shot of a solid mid-level blue screen?
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    Quote Quote  
  5. yeah I will try too - our lass is watching TV just now but will post it up asap

when turn over SKY it has a blue screen you can notice it on but not much - its quite faint but i can see it lots personally once you see it you see it all the time and as ive just had SKY+HD installed its annoying when you see it on HD... its worse on poorer quality video with dull dark greens and browns and when the camera PANS left or right you can REALLY see it
    Quote Quote  
  6. here is a pic of it but its not a good pic and the color isnt dull enough to reveal it much but you CAN see it

its got a real bad bit in top right - it shows as darker patches , vertical banding across the screen

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a good example of vertical banding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMNJilk88gY&feature=related

I'm not sure if this is your problem because the darker patch in your upper right corner is curved. Also, it seems vertical banding is a defect in the manufacturing process when they make the panels, and it is visible right out of the box - I just did some research on this, and it is more common with LCD Projectors.

I'm wondering if you have a backlight problem, or maybe if some residue has infiltrated into the panel - IE: residue from cooking or smoking.
    Quote Quote  
  8. no its BOTH

that video is EXACTLY what mine is - but also there IS a leak in top right , thats been there since the beginning and seems to have got worse - the banding has just appeared in last few months - we dont smoke etc - its definately the panel itself cos when you move up and down etc you can see it changing - if it were residue I would be able to tell - it appears to be banding...

also BUSH dont have any contact details at all - no website or nothing?
    they are a subsidary of ALBA
    Quote Quote  
  9. ..........(continued)

... I think its caused/worsened by the heat from the lamps/bulbs that light up the panel - theyre too close and the heat causes the LCD panel to warp slightly and this causes the banding in certain colors cos the front of the LCD panel is warped and distorts the actual brightness of those pixels to the naked eye....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK - you have a better view of it because you can see it directly. The only way to fix this is to replace the panel, so basically there is no fix. Is it less noticeable when the unit is just turned on, and does it get worse as it heats up?

I feel your pain, because I am trying to fix a 1.5 year old POLAROID 32" that died on me
    Quote Quote  
  11. crap innit? thanks for your help though - much appreciated....

ive found a few forums where people have posted with same problem and one thread i found had about 50 people all with same problem - most were cheapo TV's but there was some good branded TV's aswell...

next time I will get a 3 year warranty

cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that is the problem with buying cheap - the manufacturers do not care. The major brand names will usually replace a defective unit - especially for banding, but not for dead or stuck pixels because bad pixels are a lot more common.
    Quote Quote  
  13. parts / builds are getting better and warrantys are getting cheaper

when I got the BUSH 32" (its only 600:1 contrast ratio and blurs on fast scenes) it was £399 and a 3 year warranty was almost £200

now you can get SAMSUNG / LG / TOSHIBA 32" for £310-£350 and a 3 year warranty for £70...

my dad got a Samsung 32" / 10,000:1 / 8ms / 3xHDMI / 1080i for £310 and 3 year warranty for £71... not bad for £380 all in
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a Bush, you get what you pay for. The same goes for any of the cheapo brands, Alba, Wharfedale, Goodmans, Ferguson, etc. The worst one I have ever seen was a Tevion, Aldi own brand, quite how the owner managed to watch it without throwing up I will never know.

Rather than buy cheap and spend extra on an extended warranty, you'd be better off spending the full amount on a decent brand in the first place. Instead of £310 for the TV and another £71 for warranty, just spend the £380 on a Samsung, LG or similar. Or spend a bit more on a Sony or Panasonic, you won't regret it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. yeah I plan too ... also although cheapo makes are the most problematic it seems to happen to some branded makes aswell - just look at the 52" Sharp Aquos on the link above - and theres quite a few LG / SAMSUNG / PANASONINCS that have had it aswell - on avsforums

BUT - I think GENERIC components on cheapo units have much improved... the quality of generic upscalers etc are much better - my friends cheapo from eBuyer.com (Vistron 32" £270) is brilliant quality

I got mine when they were what they were CHEAP and CRAP... ive just got SKY+HD installed and its just made me realise just how crap my TV is...

the next set I get will be a decent brand (SAMSUNG - I like the sound of the DNIe technology enhancing the image) and will pay for 3 year warranty...

just gotta get the money now
    Quote Quote  
  16. well got our new TV and this has banding too???? though nowhere near as bad as old set adn is only viewable in less scenes than last one

LG 32LG5700 - 32" - 1080P

we got this from RICHER SOUNDS for £348 but as it was last one it was off the shelve - we got 5 years warranty with it and have only had the set 14 days...i noticed it (*as I was checking for it) as soon as we set it up but its not too bad but after 2 weeks of heavy viewing i dont know if I can live with it cos i cant concentrate on the films etc as im always looking for this fkin mess to appear on top of panel (top left and right of middle) - as usuall only noticable on panning shots with dull colours....

now original policy is 30 days refund/return/replacement no questions asked but after getting it and getting it home it says on the warranty 14 days as it was 'open box' ??? we didnt buy it as 'used' or 'open box' it was supposed to be a new set...

also, im worried that they will get the TV and not notice the banding (waiting to see it could take ages) or think its so little that im joking on bringing it back..... puts me off asking for replacement AND as its my 2nd LCD in a row with Banding the chances are likely that the next one will be same or worse

..seems all these damn LCDs are poor design....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was this the DISPLAY model? If so, then it is considered as OPEN BOX merchandise. LG makes great LCD TVs - I just had a good friend buy 1 - beautiful picture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gday,

Could It be that the lights at the back are not providing even illumination to the panel?. Newer and more expensive TV's are using LED's to provide the light for a brighter pic with more even illumination.

James
    Quote Quote  
  19. yeah it was display model BUT we paid full-price and he never stated any 14-day return thing - it wasnt until I read it earlier that i noticed on reciept it had **OPEN-BOX and under T&C it said 14days for open-box and 30 days for new....

so in reality we SHOULD be under 30days...

the pic IS great when u cant see it but I think OZZYJIM may have a point here cos i noticed straight away it greys torwards the edges of screen , ive increased brightness and it looks a bit better

the panel emits a noise aswell when in dark scene which is annoying when watching in silence and volume on low (under 7) you can here it - I have to turn backlight to 100% for it to stop - i KNOW what it is (invertor) but i mean pic quality AND buzzing sound - plus the sound vibrates due to poor design on LG's behalf... their INVISIBLE SPEAKER system means the panel housing vibrates on bassy sounds - you have to reduce bass right down to stop it.... - so whilst i can live with the sound and buzzing but i dunno about this partial banding/clouding issue

it IS a budget set but its an LG budget set and wouldnt have expected a new set to have banding (like me last one) - we cant afford more than £400 and want a warranty and now Full-HD as this set is....
    Quote Quote  
  20. Why would you even consider keeping such a defective TV?
    Quote Quote  
  21. well because most of the time it looks fine and they would probably think im mad - ive just played with colors again and theyre brighter and you cant see the banding/clouding hardly at all now (havnt seen it yet anyway) - AND they dont have any other 1080p/6ms/50,000:1 sets in for same price (£350) and its now into day 16 - it was last LG 32LG5700

its mostly the picture that bothers me if im honest and now ive brightened the color contrast a bit I can barely see it at all on the all-blue-screen off the sky box - im going to have to find a recording with a panning/dark scene to see if i can replicate the banding and if im not happy still then i know i can replicate it.... (I havent had chance yet since changing settings)

if i decide to keep it then I change my mind later or it gets slightly worse then I will use my 5 year warranty to get it swapped and if they refuse I will sabotage it a month later and get it swapped hehe
    Quote Quote