VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I have tried the posted hacks...unfortunately without any success. I have just purchased this Samsung HDD and DVD recorder. It is set for region 4 Australia and I need it region free.

The hacks I am referring to were posted by rolfal on May 11 2008 and by PitKing on August 11 2008.

Thanks to all the wonderful, techsavvy people out there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All the hacks listed for those models appear to be the same. However, the hacks don't always work on all versions (ie: US or international) of a player. Also, the firmware often varies between models with newer versions often being locked by the manufacturer to prevent the codes from working.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

Similar situation here; I have an HR-773 Region 4 and have tried out the posted hacks. Not very savvy with these things, but didn't have any luck.

Just wondering about the part where you have to press "Repeat" and then enter your code.

When I press "Repeat" it brings up a menu that includes the Timer function for the DVD recorder. Would this menu screen be the right one to have up when trying to input the digit hack code? This didn't work for me. Am I missing something?

Another hack version said to go to "Menu" then "Settings". There is no "Settings" on the DVD menu, only "Setup". Would this be where to go? (The only "Settings" I found was for the TV remote!).

Appreciate in advance any help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many Samsung hacks are merely cut 'n pastes of a hack that worked for 1 model, that probably won't work on other models.
    Your "Press REPEAT button" is a classic case. On some Samsung DVD Players remote controls there is a REPEAT button that is for DVD Repeat, which the hack needs, while on some Samsung remotes for DVD Rercorders the REPEAT button is for Timer Repeat, which is useless for the hack. Of course firmware and even remote controls can change over the lifetime of a model, and maybe at 1 time the "Use remote control
    Turn on player (without a DVD within)
    Press "Repeat"
    Enter numbers "5" "7" "5" "3" "8"
    The current region code will be displayed in the upper right hand corner.
    Press "9" for region free (multi region) - (don't wait too long)
    Open the tray and close it again." hack DID work, but I've never figured out how they managed to press the non-existant REPEAT button.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Be warned that for a variety of reasons such as hardware changes during production, incompetence by the person posting (they leave out a key step or list something incorrectly), etc. that hacks that worked in the past may not work any more. Also note that it seems to many of us here that ALL (as in 100%) currently sold Samsung DVD players appear to be region locked and cannot be hacked at this. Your chance of having a hack work probably depends heavily on how old your model is. Anything "just purchased" probably can't be hacked, but let us know if you beat the odds.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for both these replies. The recorder has just been bought so I guess it is unlikely that anything will work. A real shame when your old DVDs are just sitting there! It's good to have that "Repeat" issue cleared up anyhow.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a hack working on my sisters DVD-HR773, this is how i did it... i'm from NZ and the region is 4 just like in Aussie.

Updated firmware from the samsung website, the downloaded file had 775 but worked fine. (Dunno if this is needed or not for the hack).

Turn on player with no disc in drive.
    Press either menu or repeat to bring up the menu (both worked, the code worked no matter how i got to the menu).
    Enter your region code eg 76884 (region 4 code).
    A number appears in the top right which is your current region, press 9 for region free
    Open disc drive with remote.
    Wait a lil then turn off the player.

I tried turning off straight after pressing 9 but it didn't save the region, but when i used the open disc method it did save. While hunting the net for a method i found these region codes for samsung:

Region 1 - 2, 9, 3, 3, 4
    Region 2 - 3, 8, 7, 6, 7
    Region 3 - 5, 6, 7, 3, 2
    Region 4 - 7, 6, 8, 8, 4
    Region 5 - 5, 3, 8, 1, 4
    Region 6 - 2, 4, 4, 6, 2

I've only confirmed the region 4 code.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    57538 also popped up as a region 2 code for certain models.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks to andario, as I can confirm that his code for Region4 certainly works.
    I just purchased this unit new yesterday.
    Tried the steps he outlined entered the 76884, and the code showed up, changed it to 9, followed the other steps, powered back on an Woo Hoo!
    Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andario
    I got a hack working on DVD-HR773... from NZ and the region is 4. ... 775 worked fine.
    Thanks a lot for andario, this hack works for DVD-HR775 for region 5 as well, but with a slight changes:

Turn on player with no disc in drive.
    Press repeat to bring up the menu. Enter the SYSTEM submenu. If not work try SYSTEM\VIDEO submenu.
    Enter your region code eg 53814 (region 5 code).
    A number (eg5) appears in the top right which is your current region, press 9 for region free, press OK on remote
    Open disc drive with remote.
    Wait a little, then turn off the player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much andario.
    After giving up on a Samsung SH855, your hack (with a little modification) worked.
    For the Samssung SH855M (Region 2 UK)

1. Turn on without disk in drive
    2. Press "MENU"
    3. Press 57538 (Number 2 comes up in top right hand of menu screen)
    4. Press 9 (Number 2 changes to 9)
    5. Open disk tray
    6. Close disk tray
    7. Turn off player

I found I had to close the disk tray before turning off to make the new region stick.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KBeee
    After giving up on a Samsung SH855, your hack (with a little modification) worked.

2. Press "MENU"
    5. Open disk tray
    6. Close disk tray
    7. Turn off player

I found I had to close the disk tray before turning off to make the new region stick.
    Thanks for this 'by-the-numbers' guide!

This just worked like a charm for me, on my new Samsung DVD-HR773A. I'm in Denmark, so it's the same region.

And I was just about to give up too...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 73n5
    Originally Posted by KBeee

2. Press "MENU"
    5. Open disk tray
    6. Close disk tray
    7. Turn off player

Thanks for this 'by-the-numbers' guide!

This just worked like a charm for me, on my new Samsung DVD-HR773A. I'm in Denmark, so it's the same region.

And I was just about to give up too...
    I got mine in Denmark too - changed it to "region" 9, but for some reason, when trying to watch a region 1 dvd, it shows on my tv in black and white instead of being in colour... Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by corell
    I got mine in Denmark too - changed it to "region" 9, but for some reason, when trying to watch a region 1 dvd, it shows on my tv in black and white instead of being in colour... Any ideas?
    Try to change the video output setting on the DVD player to PAL. If there is no option to set the video output, you may not be able to fix this.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no video output setting i can find.. Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hey - I'm in Denmark too. Just tried above hack via System menu (just clicking "System" and going into the next level of the menu), then entering the code 57538, and indeed it worked.

But I too experienced the issue with the black and white image when playing NTSC / Region 1 discs, but then found that changing the output from composite to RGB made the difference. You do this in the System /Video menu.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip... I tried this, but I still get Region1/NTSC dvd's as black/white instead of colour. I know my TV isn't the issue, because a different dvd player doesn't have the same issue.
    Quote Quote  
  18. do remember , making a backup of a dvd makes the backup region free, so if the dvd player will play ntsc on a pal tv or vice versa thats a solution.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for digging this thread out again.
    But I'd like to know if this is not done right, will it have any effect on the set itself?

I know of a HR775 that upon startup, the disc tray ejects and stays open, even after repeatedly closing of the tray. Thus unable to do anything else.
    Is there anyway to, maybe, reset it back to the original factory setting?

Any similar experiences and advice from users/owners will gladly be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ekamatra View Post
    Apologies for digging this thread out again.
    But I'd like to know if this is not done right, will it have any effect on the set itself?

I know of a HR775 that upon startup, the disc tray ejects and stays open, even after repeatedly closing of the tray. Thus unable to do anything else.
    Is there anyway to, maybe, reset it back to the original factory setting?

Any similar experiences and advice from users/owners will gladly be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.
    you can try this tip here - http://www.avforums.com/threads/how-do-you-reset-a-samsung-dvd-hr725-operating-system.335074/
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thanks. Will give this advice to the friend who needs it. Hope it works for him.
    Quote Quote