VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in the midst of a rather major project: converting 100+ digital Hi8 camcorder tapes of family videos to something that won't deteriorate quite as fast as tape. (The earliest tapes aren't digital and date back 20 years. So far, everything has been accessible. Thank goodness! But I've read that 20 years is pushing the envelope on this media.) In addition to capturing the content of the tapes to a hard disk, I'm also making some DVD's along the way so highlights of the tapes can be enjoyed more easily by family members. I'm using a Mac, along with iMovie, iDVD, and Final Cut Express HD (where needed).

So I'm wondering what type of file(s) should I archive to a hard drive for long-term storage? Are the individual .dv files enough? Since they are the uncompressed source, maybe that's best. But there are also .mov files created to transfer content between FCE and iDVD, DVD image files (in case I want to make a copy of any of my DVD's--though that's just as easily done by ripping an existing copy, right?), and project files from iMovie. I don't want to save more than necessary, but am willing to save whatever I should so 20 or 30 years from now grandchildren who may want to do something with the source material will be able to do so. I doubt the tapes will still be good by that time. But then again, maybe DVD's won't either! I'm assuming hard drives will still be readable--and we may even buy double the amount of drives so as to back the original drives up in case one of them fails.

I've spent several hours searching this site for discussions on a topic like this, and didn't really find one. If anyone's aware of a thread I should read, please send me there. I don't want to duplicate anything here that's already been covered elsewhere! This is my first day on videohelp.com though, and there's a lot here! I'm looking forward to returning--and contributing where I can.

By the way, I chose not to post this in the Mac area because I don't think my question has as much to do with Mac software as it does with general workflow processes--whatever kind of computer you're on.

Thanks for any replies!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by atrick
    I'm in the midst of a rather major project: converting 100+ digital Hi8 camcorder tapes of family videos to something that won't deteriorate quite as fast as tape. (The earliest tapes aren't digital and date back 20 years. So far, everything has been accessible. Thank goodness! But I've read that 20 years is pushing the envelope on this media.) In addition to capturing the content of the tapes to a hard disk, I'm also making some DVD's along the way so highlights of the tapes can be enjoyed more easily by family members. I'm using a Mac, along with iMovie, iDVD, and Final Cut Express HD (where needed).
    If the tapes have been stored in cool/dry space and your player isn't gumming up they are still functional. Don't rush. Wind tape end to end before playback.

So I'm wondering what type of file(s) should I archive to a hard drive for long-term storage? Are the individual .dv files enough? Since they are the uncompressed source, maybe that's best.
    Yes save that with backup. You may want to also save as (Windows) DV.AVI in case APPL goes down without Jobs (medium probability). If you must save one, odds favor Microsoft. There is no loss converting to DV.AVI.

But there are also .mov files created to transfer content between FCE and iDVD, DVD image files (in case I want to make a copy of any of my DVD's--though that's just as easily done by ripping an existing copy, right?), and project files from iMovie. I don't want to save more than necessary, but am willing to save whatever I should so 20 or 30 years from now grandchildren who may want to do something with the source material will be able to do so. I doubt the tapes will still be good by that time. But then again, maybe DVD's won't either! I'm assuming hard drives will still be readable--and we may even buy double the amount of drives so as to back the original drives up in case one of them fails.
    Those are short term usable but dated for future. Future gens won't know what they are and probably the files won't be supported in future software.

I've spent several hours searching this site for discussions on a topic like this, and didn't really find one. If anyone's aware of a thread I should read, please send me there. I don't want to duplicate anything here that's already been covered elsewhere! This is my first day on videohelp.com though, and there's a lot here! I'm looking forward to returning--and contributing where I can.

By the way, I chose not to post this in the Mac area because I don't think my question has as much to do with Mac software as it does with general workflow processes--whatever kind of computer you're on.

Thanks for any replies!
    If these are high value family, I'd keep at least two copies.

1. Mac .DV

2. Microsoft DV.AVI

Either serves as a backup for future format archaeology. Both double the odds for future support.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great idea about saving AVI versions! Hadn't even thought of that. I'm a diehard Mac user and can't imagine life without access to a Mac. But you're right. It *could* happen that grandkids won't have Macs around.

What's a good way to create the AVI files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great idea about saving AVI versions! Hadn't even thought of that. I'm a diehard Mac user and can't imagine life without access to a Mac. But you're right. It *could* happen that grandkids won't have Macs around.

What's a good way to create the AVI files?
    I have both Mac and PC but no way to convert. From what I know

1. Quicktime Pro for Mac can export DV-AVI but not the other way.

2. EnoSoft.net DV Processor... Free conversion from a PC DV-AVI to/from Mac *.DV.

I haven't tested either yet.

PS: Vote for Woz on Dancing with the Stars. Final dance off RIGHT NOW! (pacific time)
    http://ll.abc.go.com/primetime/dancingwiththestars/index?pn=index&v4&cmp=09_DWS_CO1

Never mind Woz was saved for next week.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try QT first (since I have it).
    Thx!

Go Woz!
    Quote Quote