VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not sure if this is a video or a browser question. So, if I am in the wrong help site, forgive me.

I have no trouble viewing You Tube Vidoes on their website, or viewing other videos on their websites.

But, when I try to view an embeded video, I get the folowing.

1: a black area when the video is suppose to play with the Apple Quick Time logo in the middle.

2: After a few seconds, the black area becomes white and the Logo is repalced by one of a torn movie strip with the Qucik Time Logo.

I have tried turning off the firewall and setting my brower at 'accept everthing"

What might be the problem?

Don't I have the correct add-on, application, slow internet, or the wrong broweser (IE6)?

Or can the problem be on the other end?

Any help would be greatful

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... as you're using Win98, I'll have to check my old Win98 tower, but... I think QT also tries to do Flash (SWF, at least. The last version that worked with Win98 is probably too old for someone to have added the FLV filetype). Go into the Quicktime Control Panel applet, and look for the MIME settings and filetype extension settings, then uncheck any instances of 'SWF,' if they're there. Then, uninstall and reinstall Flash, if necessary (only if the browsers don't pick up Flash properly after disabling SWF support in Quicktime).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did what you said and I can now watch embeded videos

Thank you for the help.

Now I jsut have to discover why I can't save You Tube vidoes even when using somethig called "You Tube Ripper" from Ripzor.

For every time I try I get a "this page does not exist" window.

Maybe I'll try one of the application listed in the fist post of this forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're trying to download videos from YouTube, try the KeepVid site: http://keepvid.com/
    Just copy the address of the YouTube video from your browser's address bar while you're on the page, then go to KeepVid, enter the address there, and it'll give you the option of saving the video in either normal, or higher-resolution versions (if possible).
    For other sites or types of videos, there are a number of other options.

Glad I could help. I was wrong on the items to uncheck mentioning "SWF," though. QT 6.5.2 only lists "Flash file." But, you knew that.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try the KeepVid site
    That is what I did, and it works.

The only problem is downloading 14MB files with a 56.6 Dial up modem

Someday, when I upgrade my OS, Its DSL or maybe Cable
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using KeepVid to download videos, but as of Friday evening this no longer works. Both regular and high quality download links result in a 403 error ("You are not authorized to view this page").

I've found and tried several similar sites with the same result. Has YouTube finally managed to block all third-party download sites, or is it just me? If the former, I'd expect more of an outcry, but I can't find anyone else reporting this.

Thanks!
    Don
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dleighty
    I've been using KeepVid to download videos, but as of Friday evening this no longer works. Both regular and high quality download links result in a 403 error ("You are not authorized to view this page").

I've found and tried several similar sites with the same result. Has YouTube finally managed to block all third-party download sites, or is it just me? If the former, I'd expect more of an outcry, but I can't find anyone else reporting this.

Thanks!
    Don
    I'm having the same problem since last night.
    Quote Quote  
  8. firefox with downloadhelper still works fine to download youtube vids.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    firefox with downloadhelper still works fine to download youtube vids.
    Will this download the mp4 file (not the flv)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. it can download whichever one is playing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    it can download whichever one is playing.
    Cool, I'll give it a shot.

Update: Just tried it and it gives you a dropdown of which file type to save, Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been wavering on Firefox. Looks like this is the reason to finally download it. May need some pointers on downloadhelper, but I'll see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote