I'm wondering if I'm the only one who manages my home video clips in the same way I manage my photos.

Here's what I mean:

Unlike recording to tapes that run start to finish, DVD and hard drive camcorders treat every clip (start recording -> stop recording) as a single entity. Just like a digital camera treats every photo as a single entity.

Many of the kinds of operations that are useful for photos are also useful for video clips. Browse, sort, tag, embed information such as date/time, what camera it was taken with, etc. Many modern camcorders already embed the basic information, but I'd like to add my own tags. ("eric disneyland crying" for example. So I can search for all clips recorded in Disneyland quickly.)

Just like digital photos, sometimes there are garbage clips that you want to throw out. Almost always you only want to use a portion of the clip. (Matter of fact that's near 100% of the time since there's always a little shake in the beginning when you hit record, and usually some stuff on the end when you're not sure if you should stop recording or not but eventually decide to.)

So what I've been looking for is:
1) Catalog my video clips so that thumbnails of the clips come up quickly.
2) Let me sort my clips by recording time (not ripped from camcorder time).
3) Let me start playing a clip and explore around the clip quickly (and I mean near-instantly.)
4) Let me tag the clips with keywords like what was going on here, or who is in the clip.
5) Let me trim off the useless portions in the beginning and the end.

Is that kind of flow so unusual? Does no one else want to handle their clips like this?

I've looked and looked but haven't found anything. The video editors out there are all about mixing your clips into one long movie, adding transitions and titles, and mixing in additional sound tracks, burning to various media or uploading to YouTube . That's all fine and good, but that doesn't satisfy my main needs.

Am I alone?