VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any software out there other than dvdfab that would allow me to copy dvd movies to blu-ray easily?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when you say blu-ray, what file extension do you mean? How does converting to blu-ray help? I mean you can't upgrade a 720 to 1080 if that's what your trying to do. Just play the dvd on the blu-ray player?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I mean is for example if I want to copy a regular dvd to blu-ray is there any way to do this easily? Like howard the duck on dvd Could I copy howard the duck on dvd to blu-ray?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not easily, and to what end ? A DVD takes up only a small amount of the space available on a BluRay disc.

If you are asking is it possible to easily convert a DVD to HD 1080p Bluray quality to watch on your HD TV with your new Bluray deck, the answer is no.

It can be done, but it is not simple, not quick, and not worth it. Your Bluray player will do a better job of upscaling the DVD for you.

If you just want to burn a DVD to Bluray, rip the disc with DVDFab HD Decrypter, import in Tmpgenc DVD Authoring Works 4, and author for Bluray, then burn with Imgburn. It will still be standard definition, but you will have a DVD on a Bluray disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then I think I will forget it for right now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Given the difference in cost between blank DVD media and blank Bluray media, what were you hoping to gain ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about copying multiple DVDs to blue ray with the gain of having 4-5 DVDS on 1 blu ray to save space?

Ive converted about 12 VHS home movies to DVD, can you cut that down to about 4 and be able to just choose each DVD in a menu and it would play as if it were the DVD? (i mean so I dont have to stuff around with the menus and chapters of the DVDs, just have 1 overall menu to pick which DVD to watch?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could theoretically store DVDs as ISO/disc images on a data BD, but at this point in time, you'd be limited to only being able to use a computer to play the images.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adding mulpitle, standard def DVDs to a single Blu Ray is very easy. What you get is the possibility of 5 to 10, 4.7gig DVDs on a single disk that will play up converted into your HD flat screen. 1. Rip you DVDs. 2. Use PGCdemux to obtain elementary vid and aud streams. 3. Use Sony DVD Architect to re-author a standard def Blu-ray disk with menu. A button for each DVD you've added to the Blu Ray. Just completed my Anthology (5 DVD set) to a single Blu Ray disk using only 17.5 gig.

The Blu Ray disk is much more scratch resistant, and you can put away all your originals back into the box.

Having said that, I'm not yet satisified. I want to find a way to keep the menus, chapters, etc... while copying multiple titles to a BD. Basically, a BD with a start menu that has a "shortcut" to each standard def DVD menu contained in the new burn.

OK, the above example used commercial DVDs as content.

I write, shoot, edit and author DVDs for clients. Being able to compile many programs onto a single disk without sacrificing menu features would be very nice and isn't prohibited by copyright restrictions. So if anyone has an idea how to accomplish this technical feat please share.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Multiavchd allows you to import dvd folders and burn to blu-ray but not with the original menus.You can make your own custom menus.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded the software opened it and began playing. However after checking the download site I found the following ....

* transfer their DVD backups without reencoding into Blu-ray or AVCHD format (DVD menu is not imported)

The "DVD menu is not imported" I believe shoots down my intention. Or am I missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It means the original menus cant be imported,just the main video content,theres no way you can use the original menus on blu-ray for now,dont know if there will ever be a method easy enough.Just make your own menus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Putting DvD video onto blu-ray is not currently cost effective, however it's a great idea for those that like alot of content onto one disc IMO.

Here are some facts:

Blu-ray supports SD, and supports the MPEG-2 video/audio streams in DvD.

Although blu-ray supports the video/audio from DvDs, it has its own menu scheme and does not support the DvD menus.

It's fully BD compliant to have the video/audio from the DvDs packed into an empty BD disc to play as an actual blu-ray disc, but only with BD menus, which you'd have to re-author with a BD author tool to be supported.

Yes, blu-ray players play DvDs but, believe it or not, they are not standard with blu-ray. BD players only play them as a (can't-be-without) feature. You'd need to re-author them if you want these DvDs as true blu-ray video discs.

You can burn ISOs to an empty BD disc. But it will be only a data disc and not standard with blu-ray. You can play them on your PC, but if you want to play them in a blu-ray player you'd have to find one that has this as a feature. (I don't know of any currently yet that play ISO).
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Puzzler

Thank you for the reply and information. I guess I am looking for a software utility that just hasn't been written yet. A straight across DVD menu to BD menu conversion utility.

However, since most if not all BD players recognize the DVD menu structure, would it be possible to "fool" a player into thinking it was reading a DVD, with a standard menu, that just happens to have 25GB of recorded material behind it? This would be one approach to a solution.

Thanks again for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  15. DVD and Blu ray are two seperate things which have nothing in common with the other. To magically take a DVD's menu structure and transfer them to BD would be impossible. (well...not impossible but not as easy as you might think )

You can rip the films off DVDs and write them to BD just not menus
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess it's like trying to run windows on a Mac! How foolish.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LSBREWER
    I guess I am looking for a software utility that just hasn't been written yet. A straight across DVD menu to BD menu conversion utility.

However, since most if not all BD players recognize the DVD menu structure, would it be possible to "fool" a player into thinking it was reading a DVD, with a standard menu, that just happens to have 25GB of recorded material behind it? This would be one approach to a solution.
    It's already almost doing this. When a BD player loads a DvD disc it's actually emulating a DvD player. I'm sure it helps tremendously that the video/audio streams are already compliant, so all that needs to be done extra is decode the actual DvD menu scheme.

But you're asking for a way to convert DvD, or multiple DvDs (menus and all) to a compliant, and true BD disc. I personally wouldn't be too interested in a "hack" or a way to "fool" the player, but, instead, an actual tool that can translate the DvD's menu "language", and (automatically) re-write its code to the one that BD understands - retaining the same menus, pictures, sounds, etc, intact.

I don't see why this is not possible with HDMV/BD-J, and I can see lots of motivation for someone to write an app for this.

But alas, I do not know of any such converters currently.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adding mulpitle, standard def DVDs to a single Blu Ray is very easy. What you get is the possibility of 5 to 10, 4.7gig DVDs on a single disk that will play up converted into your HD flat screen. 1. Rip you DVDs. 2. Use PGCdemux to obtain elementary vid and aud streams. 3. Use Sony DVD Architect to re-author a standard def Blu-ray disk with menu. A button for each DVD you've added to the Blu Ray. Just completed my Anthology (5 DVD set) to a single Blu Ray disk using only 17.5 gig.

The Blu Ray disk is much more scratch resistant, and you can put away all your originals back into the box.

Having said that, I'm not yet satisified. I want to find a way to keep the menus, chapters, etc... while copying multiple titles to a BD. Basically, a BD with a start menu that has a "shortcut" to each standard def DVD menu contained in the new burn.

I write, shoot, edit and author DVDs for clients. Being able to compile many programs onto a single disk without sacrificing menu features would be very nice and isn't prohibited by copyright restrictions. So if anyone has an idea how to accomplish this technical feat please share.

thanks.
    Well I have DVD architech 4.5 and I don't see the way to take mpeg2 video and create any bluray disc...?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Markqc

I use DVDArchitect 5.0b. I can't say for sure if 4.5 covered Blu Ray disk burning. Upload 5.0 DVDArchitect, it should be a free upgrade, if not, it's a free 30 day trial. As I write this I'm burning a 15 GB BD using DVDarchitect. It has Blu Ray settings in the "Properties" window. see attached jpg

I'm still waiting for a solution that will allow me to import standard DVD menus and features to these BD compilations.

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

thanks.
    Dude you seem super knowlegable, but "The Blu Ray disk is much more scratch resistant"????

are you serious?

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ripbot will convert SD DVD to BlueRay,but I not sure it's worth it,it will still be 720x480.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    Dude you seem super knowlegable, but "The Blu Ray disk is much more scratch resistant"????
    are you serious?
    ocgw
    peace
    It's really nothing special -- about the same as the higher-end "scratch resistant" DVDs. A BD hovers mere millimeters above the laser assembly, and there is a much higher chance of impact in the player during normal operation. If the disc had no protection, it's likely that you'd take the disc out of the player and it'd have radial scratches. CD and DVD hover much higher.

I believe it's the same as the hardcoating used by TDK on their DVD media too.

More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis

If all you want is tougher discs, get protected TY DVD-R at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PC0E0I?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B001PC0E0I -- more costly than standard DVD-R, but far less costly than BD-R

More on this topic at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/long-term-archival-1396.html
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ocgw wrote...
    "Dude you seem super knowlegable, but "The Blu Ray disk is much more scratch resistant"????

are you serious?"

Yes OCGW, I am serious. I thought it was common knowledge.

then lordsmurf wrote...

It's really nothing special -- about the same as the higher-end "scratch resistant DVDs"

lordsmurf.. Are "high-end scratch resistant DVDs" more scratch resistant than "regular DVDs" ? Yes. I thought so. And that was the comparison I was making.

I read the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis artical. is says..

"To meet Blu-ray's specifications, TDK's coating (Durabis) had to be less than 0.1 mm thick, be hard enough to resist considerable damage, and yet be transparent enough to be easily read."

And now they are applying that coating, developed to meet the Blu Ray specification, to standard DVDs for the DVD rental market. BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM MORE SCRATCH RESISTANT.

I can't find an article or forum that disputes the "Scratch Resistant" claim made by Blu Ray manufactures.

My original statement was strictly based on my own experience. I wouldn't use sandpaper, car keys, or steel wool to try to prove this claim.

I get 10x more from this forum than I give, and it has saved my rear more times than I care to say. If any suggestion I make runs contrary to established fact or common knowledge, please let me know. That is how I learn.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wulf109

RIPbot wouldn't provide a path to Blu Ray with menus, chapters, etc.. That is, was, my goal at the time of the original post. Yes, the movies will still be 480x720, but if you could put an entire box set of "Raiders" SD DVDs onto 1 BD dual layer, wouldn't that be nice? That much is doable right now. But you lose all the options that make DVDs cool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But there are BD authoring programs that could be used to create a menu structure for a series of m2ts files created by Ripbot?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Is it possible to create an AVCHD disc on (DVD media) with a blu-ray menu? Or maybe this is called BD-9? In that case one could compress the DVD copies to h.264 and fit something like 8 full movies at standard DVD resolution but in higly compressed h.264 format on a regular dual layer DVD-9 disc.

But with the same compression on a 25 GB BD-R you could get like 25 movies on one disc...
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use handbrake and load the VIDEO_TS folder and select a size of 900mb and mkv output and que up 8 folders that way and encode to 720x480/578,select a fps of 23.976 for ntsc video with pulldown,then load the mkvs into multiavchd and author and burn to dvd9.

Make sure your blu-ray player can play avchd dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109
    But there are BD authoring programs that could be used to create a menu structure for a series of m2ts files created by Ripbot?
    multiAVCHD
    Quote Quote  
  29. I guess it's like trying to run windows on a Mac!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LSBREWER View Post
    ocgw wrote...
    "Dude you seem super knowlegable, but "The Blu Ray disk is much more scratch resistant"????

are you serious?"

Yes OCGW, I am serious. I thought it was common knowledge.

then lordsmurf wrote...

It's really nothing special -- about the same as the higher-end "scratch resistant DVDs"

lordsmurf.. Are "high-end scratch resistant DVDs" more scratch resistant than "regular DVDs" ? Yes. I thought so. And that was the comparison I was making.

I read the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis artical. is says..

"To meet Blu-ray's specifications, TDK's coating (Durabis) had to be less than 0.1 mm thick, be hard enough to resist considerable damage, and yet be transparent enough to be easily read."

And now they are applying that coating, developed to meet the Blu Ray specification, to standard DVDs for the DVD rental market. BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM MORE SCRATCH RESISTANT.

I can't find an article or forum that disputes the "Scratch Resistant" claim made by Blu Ray manufactures.

My original statement was strictly based on my own experience. I wouldn't use sandpaper, car keys, or steel wool to try to prove this claim.

I get 10x more from this forum than I give, and it has saved my rear more times than I care to say. If any suggestion I make runs contrary to established fact or common knowledge, please let me know. That is how I learn.
    I thought it was common knowledge that CD's are tough and that DVD's are less durable and that blu rays are down right fragile

well that is my experience w/ 500+ blu rays

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote