VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know about bluray blanks, but pressed BDs are far more resistant to scratches and normal wear and tear than DVDs or CDs. When it comes to physical damage, I would rate DVDs and CDs as about even for durability.

Where the three formats do differ is the amount of data backed on them in the same physical space, and therefore the relative impact of physic damage. Because the amount of data on BD is orders of magnitude greater than that of a DVD, it is packed far more tightly. Therefore even a small scratch that might be ignored on DVD can cause a BD to stop. However it takes far more effort to inflict that damage on a BD than it does on a DVD, so normal use (i.e. not letting your kids play with the discs etc.) should not cause any issues.

I have used the TDK armour DVDs in the past, and they surface looks and behaves very much like BDs do. For special archives, they are worth the extra cash IMO.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Don't know about bluray blanks, but pressed BDs are far more resistant to scratches and normal wear and tear than DVDs or CDs. When it comes to physical damage, I would rate DVDs and CDs as about even for durability.

Where the three formats do differ is the amount of data backed on them in the same physical space, and therefore the relative impact of physic damage. Because the amount of data on BD is orders of magnitude greater than that of a DVD, it is packed far more tightly. Therefore even a small scratch that might be ignored on DVD can cause a BD to stop. However it takes far more effort to inflict that damage on a BD than it does on a DVD, so normal use (i.e. not letting your kids play with the discs etc.) should not cause any issues.

I have used the TDK armour DVDs in the past, and they surface looks and behaves very much like BDs do. For special archives, they are worth the extra cash IMO.
    for the record I disagree that comercial "pressed" blu ray discs are more durable than CD's or DVD's

i find them to be easier to damage the playing surface, and more prone to cracking if flexed

additionally more blu rays are bad right out the box than CD's, DVD's, or laser Disc's ever were

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A totally non-scientific poll of the internet forums regarding BD and how easily they scratch....

1. That they have a special coating which can't be scratched. I have over 100 and none of them are scratched so maybe it's true.

2. They're less scratchable definitely, which is dead handy for people who own PS3's and want to pick up cheap pre-owned games,

3. I work for a local DVD rental chain (not Blockbuster). Every week without fail we return at least 30 rental DVD copies to Head Office because they are FBR - Fucked Beyond Repair (the majority of these are kids films. No real shock there). The total number of BD returned to Head Office during the entire 2009 .......... One (shockingly, a kids film)
    So the moral of this story is, Blu-Rays are more durable than Dvd's.

4. Do blu-ray discs scratch easily? I'm a new PS3 owner. Nah...they have a protective cover over them...in order for them to scratch u pretty much HAVE to try scratching them. Much more protected than dvds

5 .Blu-Ray discs are incredibly resistant to scratches, but not scratch-proof. For instance, I have demonstrated to my customers that I can rub a PS3 game disc on the edge of my store's computer monitor without it damaging the disc at all. I can rub it on the counter madly and still not put a scratch in it. The only way I know of to purposely put a scratch in a Blu-Ray disc reliably is to take a knife to it.

6. I tried scratching a demo disc with a fork and it was quite hard to scratch.

7. When I bought dvds, I used to hate whenever I got scratches on em'...even light ones that would not affect the playing of the flick. But with the special coating on BDs its like literally impossible to unintentionally scratch em' up.

8. LOL no cracked hubs yet but plenty of holes in cases and broken locks, not to mention those horrible eco cases. I do like the coating, I doubt I'll ever have playback issues with a blu-ray.

9. of all the movies I have rented my counts are something like this:

BLU wont play Hair Line cracked: 4
    BLU wont play from scraches: 0

DVD Totally cracked from center hub to outer edge: 15
    DVD's that won't play from scraches: 30+

...and it goes on and on. It is very hard to find a negative comment about BDs and their scratch-ability. I'm not saying one or more of you haven't had your own bad experience and question the BD claim to be scratch resistant. I'm just saying that there seems to be very little buzz about this alleged problem in the forums where such things are discussed.

I will concede one point. BD will snap when flexed. I tested a Sony 25gb BD and it snapped when flexed about 1.5 inches. I can flex a standard DVD much further. I recall bending a CD to the point it folded over and the opposite sides touched. So don't try to fold a BD and put it in your front pocket. It will snap.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LSBREWER View Post
    A totally non-scientific poll of the internet forums regarding BD and how easily they scratch....

1. That they have a special coating which can't be scratched. I have over 100 and none of them are scratched so maybe it's true.

2. They're less scratchable definitely, which is dead handy for people who own PS3's and want to pick up cheap pre-owned games,

3. I work for a local DVD rental chain (not Blockbuster). Every week without fail we return at least 30 rental DVD copies to Head Office because they are FBR - Fucked Beyond Repair (the majority of these are kids films. No real shock there). The total number of BD returned to Head Office during the entire 2009 .......... One (shockingly, a kids film)

4. Do blu-ray discs scratch easily? I'm a new PS3 owner. Nah...they have a protective cover over them...in order for them to scratch u pretty much HAVE to try scratching them. Much more protected than dvds

5 .Blu-Ray discs are incredibly resistant to scratches, but not scratch-proof. For instance, I have demonstrated to my customers that I can rub a PS3 game disc on the edge of my store's computer monitor without it damaging the disc at all. I can rub it on the counter madly and still not put a scratch in it. The only way I know of to purposely put a scratch in a Blu-Ray disc reliably is to take a knife to it.

7. When I bought dvds, I used to hate whenever I got scratches on em'...even light ones that would not affect the playing of the flick. But with the special coating on BDs its like literally impossible to unintentionally scratch em' up.

8. LOL no cracked hubs yet but plenty of holes in cases and broken locks, not to mention those horrible eco cases. I do like the coating, I doubt I'll ever have playback issues with a blu-ray.

...and it goes on and on. It is very hard to find a negative comment about BDs and their scratch-ability. I'm not saying one or more of you haven't had your own bad experience and question the BD claim to be scratch resistant. I'm just saying that there seems to be very little buzz about this alleged problem in the forums where such things are discussed.

I will concede one point. BD will snap when flexed. I tested a Sony 25gb BD and it snapped when flexed about 1.5 inches. I can flex a standard DVD much further. I recall bending a CD to the point it folded over and the opposite sides touched. So don't try to fold a BD and put it in your front pocket. It will snap.
    I actually pwn 500+ BD's

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LSBREWER View Post

I actually pwn 500+ BD's (for whatever that is worth)

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can appreciate your vast experience and feel just awful about the way BDs have preformed for you so far. I couldn't stop thinking about the predicament that all BD users are in, so I did a test, again non-scientific, to check the relative "scratchability" of the BD vs the DVD-R. I bought a kitchen scrubbing pad and placed the two disks side-by-side, shinny side up. I took the scrubbing pad and attacked both disks with equal amount of pressure.

The results were very convincing if I do say so myself.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd-R AFTER.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	882  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bd AFTER.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	883  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SETUP BD n DVD.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	884  

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you test the disks after wards to see if they play?

A scratched up DVD might play, but a seemingly pristine blu ray disc may be junk

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi!

You can try to use this new tool for automatic conversion DVD to BD:
    http://dvd2bd.com/dvdtobdexpress.html

This is very simple in use one button program. All you need to do is to set the input and output paths, and then you will have analogous to source DVD but with valuable BD structure on the output.

Valery
    Blu-ray authoring software developer
    http://www.dvd-logic.com
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Val!

Can't wait to try it. Do you know if the resultant BRD will have the orig DVD menu structure?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, we developed special mechanism for Navigation commands conversion. We also convert all menu button images and elements of logic. Try and see what you will receive. Also we have version for Sonic Scenarist BD, it converts DVD to Scenarist BD project file.

Valery.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK

I just took the time to read the specs and if I understand what I've read, this software should do the trick. It looks like the "DVDtoBD Tool" version has the features I've been waiting for. I'll try it out this weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  12. We have two versions: "DVD2BD Tool" - for Scenarist BD, so you should have it installed for resulting BD compilation and "DVD2BD Express" - independent simple in use one button program with all decompilation/compilation functions included.

If you want to use DVD2BD Tool (Scenarist BD based version) you need to fill Demo version request form on our page.

Valery.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDLogic,

Valery

I've only recently been able to run DVD2BD through the paces. It appears that it will only deal with one DVD title at a time. Or if it has the capacity to import multiple DVD titles and retain menu structure for each... I can't find it. My idea was a utility such as DVD2BD, with the added feature that would create a "master menu" of multiple titles, that would allow you to select a title that would then deliver you to the original menu of the selected title. I hope I am being clear on this. DVD2BD seems to work very well, but it's use would be limited to a narrow range of situations.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi,

sorry but current version can process only one DVD to one BD.

Valery
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Valery

OK, I'm running the DVD2bd express and have imported a DVD created that is 13 GBs with many menues. The files play perfectly in Windows Media Player.

Of course it won't fit on a 4.7 GB standard DVD. This looks like a good project for DVD2BD express.

So I ran the program and this is what I get ( see image )

I want to burn this to a 25 GB BluRay disk.

What is my next step?

Can DVD2BD create an iso image?

I have Nero 9.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd2bd redocap.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	4729  

Quote Quote  
  16. Hi,

you can find all BD structured files and folders in folder "MUXED". You need just copy all data inside folder "MUXED" to your 25 GB BluRay disk using Nero.

Best regards,
    Valery Koval.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's how I thought it should work..

I have 3 options in the Nero BluRay burner. Blu-ray (ISO), Blu-ray Disc Copy, and Blu-ray (UDF).

My guess is Blu-ray (UDF)

Am I correct?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm not sure what exactly, but think that UDF must be appropriate.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Valery
    regarding DVD2 BD express.

Still no luck burning with nero. At least no luck burning a playable BD. The files are on there, it's just the set op DVD player (Sony) won't play the BD. Also my Cyberlink Power DVD 10 won't play it with an error... "There is a disk of unsupported format in drive D"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Larry Brewer
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not getting a "certificate" folder inside the MUXED folder. Is that the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Switched over to imgburn and now I have the certificate folder and the DVD works! But no audio. : (
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One reason you might not get audio is if you are feeding the audio to an amp and it cant decode dts,the way to fix that is set your blu-ray player to decode dts first,if thats not the problem check to see if the m2ts plays on your computer with sound.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  23. (first post) I've been watching this thread for a while and I'm glad to see it get back on topic. Also, glad to see the new DVD2BD app, spasybi Val. It is obviously still in development, but is fast and no apparent bugs or crashes. The output does not seem to be fully BD compliant yet though. I've had mixed results in tests so far, but it shows promise.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has any tried multiAVCHD Blu Ray utility for converting multiple standard def DVDs w/menus, to a single BluRay. If this works as it's described, it might be the ticket!

http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you look back in this thread you will see where i posted about multiavchd and importing dvds,no original menus,just custom created ones done by the program.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote