VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. I say "maybe" in the title because I can actually play any file if I open the player, go to file, browse for it, and then open it that way. But if I just click on the icon (which all worked fine until yesterday), I get this error. Media plays fine on Real or Windows Media Player, but some of the files I have don't work on those, hence MPC. I've tried downloading about every version of MPC I've seen, and nothing works. Ad-Aware and AVG turn up no problems. And I haven't changed or updated anything lately. I even tried changing them all to run on media player and deleting every last vestige of MPC, then redownloading and installing it and trying again, and I get the same error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you can't open any files by double clicking on the file? Or you can only open specific types? Do you get the same error on all file types or only one type?

You could also try installing MPCHC or something else like VLC or KMPlayer.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any file that's set to open with MPC fails to open, even with MPCHC or other variants, unless I open it through MPC itself. If I switch to various other media players, they seem okay. I just liked MPC and wanted to keep it. I suppose I could live without it if no one has an idea.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like registry corruption.
    Try unregistering *all* file extensions associated with MPC,
    then re-register them manually (I don't know if CCleaner or something
    similar could automate the process).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what that means. If it means change the default program for each file to something else and then change it back, I tried that. However, to do that for all extensions period, I'm not sure how. I just did everyone I actually have.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BWMagus
    Hi everyone. I say "maybe" in the title because I can actually play any file if I open the player, go to file, browse for it, and then open it that way. But if I just click on the icon (which all worked fine until yesterday), I get this error. Media plays fine on Real or Windows Media Player, but some of the files I have don't work on those, hence MPC. I've tried downloading about every version of MPC I've seen, and nothing works. Ad-Aware and AVG turn up no problems. And I haven't changed or updated anything lately. I even tried changing them all to run on media player and deleting every last vestige of MPC, then redownloading and installing it and trying again, and I get the same error.
    I've been having that problem myself lately. The solution (and the problem) for me was to hit ctrl-alt-del to open the task manager. Seems that a failed load will leave a zombie process called mplayerc.exe running. Click on that process and choose End Process and mpc should work again. I only have this problem in the newer CCCP (haven't tried other codec packs). I keep a copy of "Combined-Community-Codec-Pack-2008-01-24" around because it doesn't have home-cinema in it. Personally I don't see what's so great about home-cinema, but that's because I haven't run into anything the old mpc can't handle. Hope that helps.

Edit: This is for Windows XP - don't know if Vista is the same - don't have it, don't want it
    Quote Quote