VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I received this message on a downloaded xvid file:

What does this mean exactly? Is there a way to extract just the video? I know how to extract audio. I just need to get the video out to reprocess it. Would mkvextractor work on avis? I know it works to get h264 video out of mkvs.

Also got this message on trying to convert to divx:

So what can I do?

I'd rather not have to redownload it. It is a rather largish file and I'd hate to have to scrap it.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

EDIT - before anyone suggests it avidemux won't even open the file. So that is not an option.....

EDIT 2 - Xvid4psp opened it. I'm reencoding to mp4 for xbox360 and psp profile. It's churning really fast. I don't know if I'll get a useable file though. I'll report back. EDIT 3 - Ok I only got a 2mb file out of it and I think the original was at least a 150mb. Somethings not right. Back to square one.....

EDIt 4 - VLC gives me an AVI is broken do you want to repair message - I click yes and doesn't seem to do anything. I'm wondering if I will have to redownload this....

EDIT 5 - Ok I'm trying a fast recompress in vdubmpeg2. It is projecting a 5.5gb file! What did I choose to do that? I didn't set any compression - is this going to be raw video than? Could I reencode with that?

EDIT 6 - Ok Vdub still crashed upon conversion...... I'm thinking I will have to redownload this file.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try another demux method. For most quickies, I use:

--> ffmpeg -i video.avi -vcodec copy -y newvideo.avi

The only thing I would worry about is the build version you have. I tend to D/L each one that I catch while reading posts or visiting google searches, etc. I throw them in my tool suite listing and pick whatever version (that works best) for the job. You will find that some versions are virtually instantly fast while others go through the churning, line by line nonsense. Anyway.

Give ffmpeg a shot for demuxing out the video part. Then feed that inside virtual.
    If vdub will at least open it, then next thing to so is find out (the last frame) where it borks out:

1. jot it down, and then close vidub (case its bloaded on account of the crash)
    2. reopen vdub
    3. load in your video,
    4. set your Start and End points uing the Ctrl-G key and type in the End frame no. (you may have to back one frame)
    5. set to \video\Direct Stream Copy
    7. save as new video.
    8. then, go through steps 1-5 again, but for the frame (or two) after the crash, set Start and Ctrl-Crsr_Rt End points
    9. save as second video piece: save the two pieces like 01.avi and 02.avi
    10. reload vdub, open first video (as [x] segmented checked on) to load 01.avi and 02.avi, and save as new_video.avi

You may have to play around a little with the above setup. But hopefully, the video is not too badly damaged that the above will work. Good luck.

-vhelp 5071
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks vhelp. Well I decided to redownload it after all. It must have been a corrupted download as the "new" file works just fine. I was able to convert to wmv with my usual program.

I have however kept the original corrupted file. When I get another chance to work on it I'll try your suggestion to see if it can indeed be salvaged.

Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've gotten similar errors a few times over the years from my own personal encodes, for no apparent reason, so it's not just an Internet thing. It just happens.

Instead of re-encoding from the source, I just run it through VirtualDubMod, with a quick pass enabling Direct Stream for video and audio and it almost always corrects whatever the problem was, from whatever I did...

Glad you got it solved at any rate though.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote