VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have been using DVD shrink and DVD fab for some years now and rebuilding my "media" PC.

Up till now, I have been burning my DVD's with Nero burning rom.

Although I'm a registered user, I remember what a pain it was to get the program installed -- think I have to do the whole suite first, blah blah.

I'd love to find another burning program (either freeware or inexpensive) that will work as well as the Nero always has.

With Nero, I simply selected my VIDEO TS output files and presto. Never a problem.

Any other software you folks can recommend I can look at?

Thanks very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. I searched that and it says there are some complications in using it with DVD shrink?

Do you know what that's all about?

I really like the simple select and burn that Nero did but like I say I have to install the whole friggin suite.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I downloaded it and using it now -- problem is you have to build the right
    files for a DVD (another time consuming step).

With Nero you can just drag the VIDEO TS folder and it burns.

This is the kind of program I'm looking for -- or I guess I just go through the nightmare of installing nero again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Or -- wait a minute -- we'll see, I'm using it right now. Looks like it may be building and burning at the same time which is
    ok.

?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well -- looks like a 2 step process create ISO first then burn.

I've never done that BUT -- can anyone tell me the plus/minus of an ISO DVD compared to one with VOB files?

or 6 to 1 half a dozen to the other?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ImgBurn can't be used directly by most versions of DVD Shrink, but will burn both ISO images and VIDEO_TS folders now. Unless you really need to have DVD Shrink initiate burning, using ImgBurn won't be a problem.

Nero has a complication with respect to burning the output from DVD Shrink. When burning with Nero, a stub VOB and its BUP can occupy the same block, which is a no-no.

[Edit] You posted just before I did. To burn the VIDEO_TS folder with ImgBurn use "Write files/folders to disk" from the EZ Mode Picker or Mode->Build from the menu bar.

I haven't heard a good explanation for burning an ISO image with newer versions of ImgBurn instead of simply burning the Video_TS folder. It seems to be more of a personal preferance. Even burning the ISO turned out to be slightly faster for creating multiple copies of a disc, the time saved couldn't be terribly significant.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have used this DVD Shrink mod for years...

(removed rapidshare link in favor of VideoHelp link shown below)

Just follow the instructions on how to replace the old DVD Shrink.exe file with the newly downloaded one.

This mod allows DVD Shrink to recognize IMGBurn as a choice for burning. It works great!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think downloading another DVD Shrink version from https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Shrink would be a safer choice than downloading from rapidshare.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh. I didn't realize the IMGBurn modified DVD Shrink was posted here at VideoHelp.

Here's the direct download link...

http://download3.videohelp.com/DVDShrink32_w_ImgBurn.rar

IMGBurn should be installed to its own default location in order for DVD Shrink to find it and use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using the DVD Shrink mod to work with IMGBurn for a very long time now, and its always worked perfectly

IMGBurn IS better than Nero at burning as I proved years ago when some DVDs I burned with Nero refused to play on another standalone DVD player I bought. If they did play they skipped and stuttered so badly as to be totally unwatchable never mind unplayable. A lot of the disks also came up as no disk inserted but played fine on the other standalone

I changed the software to what was then DVD Decrypter as the burning software, IMGBurn is the much advanced burning engine of DVD Decrypter and by the same author, all my problems went instantly. DVDs played perfectly on both standalones and all I changed was my burning software. Same spindle, same media, same speeds, just different software

I gave up using Nero for DVDs from then on, and now no longer use it for MP3's, so Nero isn't even installed on my system anymore as its now so bloated and such a pig to install and uninstall and even upgrading is horrendous and very tedious and time consuming

In short use IMGBurn, you won't regret it, plus its FREE, but donations would be appreciated by the guy as he puts a lot of effort into it
    Quote Quote  
  12. Personally, I don't know how much simpler or "no frills" it can get with ImgBurn. Simply open ImgBurn > click the "write files/folder to disc" option > click on the folder to the right of the window "browse for a folder" > choose the appropriate "video_ts" folder > burn away!

The method above will not create an ISO file, IMO there's no need to do so, it just adds another step. For DVD burning, ImgBurn is hands down the easiest and BEST option...period.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by bbanderic
    ...The method above will not create an ISO file, IMO there's no need to do so, it just adds another step...
    No extra step involved. You just tell the modded DVD Shrink to "output an ISO file and automatically burn with ImgBurn" when selecting your back-up target. It will create an ISO and burn the disc without creating a VIDEO_TS folder first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    geez, how difficult is it to do another step to open up IMGBURN to burn the ISO image you created with DVD SHRINK! :P
    Quote Quote  
  15. Not difficult for most of us, but one less step is better. Especially when you're teaching someone who has no clue. (not referring to the OP)
    Quote Quote  
  16. IMGBURN is the BEST.....thanks for the tip.

And yes, you're right you can simply add the VIDEOTS folder and it burns like Nero did.

Just sent the guy a donation....great software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mister
    And yes, you're right you can simply add the VIDEOTS folder and it burns like Nero did.
    Naw. If it burned like Nero did you would still have all the problems you used to have.
    Quote Quote