VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know how to increase the volume on an AVI file?
    Some of my ripped dvds are low volume and I would like to "louden" them up a bit.
    cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the type of audio as to how simple it is. For MP3 audio you can do it in virtualdub. Load the file, click on Audio->Full Processing, then click on Audio->Volume. adjusting it up by +6Db should double the current level. Just remember to set your compression type to MP3 and configure it before saving out the new video.

Or you could use virtualdubmod, demux the audio to an mp3 file, use mp3gain to change the audio without re-encoding it, then mux it back into the video again in place of the original.

I don't know of a simple way to do this for AC3 audio.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers
    use mp3 gain now to level out my iriver
    works well
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to have the same problem. Now I just use VirtualDubMod, as follows:

1. Open file to be modified.

2. Set Compression Speed of choice (I usually use Direct Stream Copy, for speed).

3. Click on Streams > Stream List

4. Right Click on the Speaker Icon - Top Left (You will notice at this point that the 'Volume' option is Greyed out).

5. Select Full Processing Mode (not to be confused with the one in stage 2)

6. Once again, select Streams > Stream List - The 'Volume' option is now available to select, so select it.

7. Check the Adjust Volume... box & adjust the slider to the Percentage volume Increase or Decrease you require.

8. OK the window.

9. Save your new *.AVI file with boosted volume.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive used Virtualdubmod to increase the overall volume of avi files and whilst it does a good job of doing so, Ive noticed that the size of the video file becomes huge! I did an avi today which was a modest 1.6gb file to start with. However, once I had finished, the video file was 82.2GBs which is huge. Is there a fix for this??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you are not filtering the video, using the original source, on the top menu make sure you click Video > Direct stream copy, and on the audio that you select a compressor before saving the file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You cannot select audio when you use Direct Stream copy, its blanked out
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is DirectStreamCopy for Video and one for Audio. They are independent. Use DSC for the Video side, use Full Processing for the Audio side.

Scott
    Quote Quote