VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

Re: Backing up copy protected VHS tapes to dvd

I have some old tapes i would like to back up. i was thinking of buying a EasyCap USB 2.0 Video Capture Adapter with Video Editor Software. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31AN3K1bOxL._SS400_.jpg

I was wondering would the EasyCap Adapter by pass the Macrovision protection?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it contains circuitry for a video stabilizer or TBC. For one thing, the description is doesn't say anything about that, and for another thing, the stand-alone video stabilizers I have seen are larger than the adapter shown.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi:

Go to the Canopus site (Grass Valley)

Look at the ADVC 300 (firmware 1.01.002 and version 1.00.003)

It will remove copy guard on VHS Look in the forums. You hold down two buttons for 30 seconds, I think

This is a GREAT device for any capture or duplication. Very, very clean and solid.

Any of the TBCs and Panasonic swichers (small) will remove/replace sync to remove Mvision
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of the Hauppauge stuff ignores MV too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see please my thread

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic366707.html

i have the same EasyCAP AV-USB Adapter. It works fine.
    I have archived my Hi8 and VHS-Videos deploying virtualdub+divx+xvid+lame.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get it,- what kind of device is this usb2 ? Is it for the computer only - as it has 1 composite output and 1 USB input, how can it be connected in between VCR player and DVD recorder as they usually don't have USB interface? And it's suspiciosly small for a video stabilizer ,the smallest one i've seen till now was xdimax grex, but this stuff looks more like a simple adapter than a stabilizer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by steved3604 View Post
    Hi:

Go to the Canopus site (Grass Valley)

Look at the ADVC 300 (firmware 1.01.002 and version 1.00.003)

It will remove copy guard on VHS Look in the forums. You hold down two buttons for 30 seconds, I think
    If anyone has a URL to download ADVC-300 firmware version 1.01.002, please post it. The firmware is not available on the GrassValley.com website and their "support" people are unresponsive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Teac23 View Post
    Hi.

Re: Backing up copy protected VHS tapes to dvd

I have some old tapes i would like to back up. i was thinking of buying a EasyCap USB 2.0 Video Capture Adapter with Video Editor Software. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31AN3K1bOxL._SS400_.jpg

I was wondering would the EasyCap Adapter by pass the Macrovision protection?

Thanks
    Among several ways to backup VHS tapes to digital video, VHS->direct->to->MPEG is one of the worst.
    Among many VHS->direct->to->MPEG devices, EasyCap is also one the worst. Go with Canopus.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 06:10.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Among several ways to backup VHS tapes to digital video, VHS->direct->to->MPEG is one of the worst.
    Among many VHS->direct->to->MPEG devices, EasyCap is also one the worst. Go with Canopus.
    Wholeheartedly agree with both sentences.

Although I wouldn't bet on the ADVC-300 MV bypass. I recall reading that it can defeat some forms of MV, but not all. And that's providing it can be activated in the first place. Best solution for MV would be a standalone TBC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Wholeheartedly disagree.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Wholeheartedly disagree.
    IMO the only scenario where a direct to MPEG capture is suitable is on good quality sources, such as commercial releases or TV. Maybe with a lot of pre-filtering on lower quality tapes, but maybe not. At least capping to DV will provide higher quality, better editing and more options for delivery.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, you need a fairly clean source going directly to DVD, a good player, and a better capture device. Once the nosie and gunk from typically "bad" tape gets into DVD, forget about it. It looks worse than the original, and it's there forever.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 06:10.
    Quote Quote