VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help. I had to install winamp for the wife on my computer. Now when I right click and choose a word or a url, it shows "search in winamp" I was used to my trusty Google. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get back the Google search. I reinstalled Google toolbar, no luck. I can't uninstall winamp, wife needs it. Can someone tell me how to get this fixed please.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you still have Firefox's standard search field/bar enabled in your toolbar? If so, click on the dropdown arrow and change the search engine back to Google. Firefox will use the search engine you have selected in the search bar for the right-click search. (Unless, of course, you've installed other extensions that add search options to the right-click context menu.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a plugin called Context Search which lets you add extra options to the right-click Search function. Not quite what you want, but it's a start.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks but i liked the way i had it before. I just uninstalled winamp and did ccleaner to clean my temps file and registry. Still there. Now it's annoying. I installed Context Search, not what i was looking for, helpful though. Anyone else please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the Address Bar, type about:config and hit enter. You will probably get a warning, but proceed anyway. You are now in the guts of Firefox, so be careful what you change.

In the filter box, type winamp and see where it turns up. I suspect one of the references will be the context search option. if you can work out which one, and change it to Google, you should be OK.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what I see, can I delete these?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't delete anything.

Did you try Ai Haibara's advice ? I suspect it will make the right changes for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes i did, nothing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... Go to Tools > Add-ons (make sure you're in the Extensions tab in the window that pops up), and see if there's any extensions in the list that have 'Winamp' in the name.

(I'm on one of my systems that have Firefox 2 installed, at the moment - so the directions may be slightly different for Firefox 3, I don't remember, offhand.)
    Quote Quote  
  10. This link shows how to remove the toolbar which probably has something to do with the changed context search. There really isn't any point in having the toolbar installed.

http://www.aeonity.com/david/how-remove-winamp-toolbar

http://www.rakshitk.com/blog/2008/05/13/how-to-configure-firefox-address-bar-with-search-engines/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help, I was able to use the add-on firefox search context, which is ok. Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See if CCleaner can find an uninstaller for WinAmp toolbar.
    WinPatrol is also good at detecting and letting you remove BHO's (browser helper objects), such as toolbars.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ai Haibara's solution worked great for me. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Im not sure if this is the right way to post a question?

Does anyone know how to add right click features? im trying to add, in addition to the search google for option, a custom search for another site. so if i highlight text and can then right click and select "Search 'a site' for ....".

Ive been looking through the config but dont seem to be able to find the google text search param?

any help would be most appreciated! thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not easy to modify the context menu. The SmartSearch extension might be close to what you're looking for, though.
    Quote Quote  
  16. thankyou!

yes, changing the search engine in the top right hand corner changes the engine used on the right mouse click!
    Quote Quote  
  17. I also used the right click very often just because I was too lazy to copy and paste the highlighted word into google but I found a tool which is just as fast as the right click. It's called clickto http://clicktoapp.com and it uses the simple principle of copy and paste to make quite a lot of useful things with the highlighted text, I use it mostly to search a highlighted word with google but there are many more options.
    Quote Quote