VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there!

ffmpegX is working fine to convert video files. I'm using it on Mac OSX 10.4
    But... I'm trying to add a srt subtitle to an AVI movie, and when I try the preview I get a syntax error on line 1:

> sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token ´('

I checked with VLC and Jubler and the .srt seems fine...

Troubleshooting anyone?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That can be a symptom of a filename/pathname with odd characters, but it's hard to say for sure what's causing this in your case. But that's the sort of thing I'd look for.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here it goes. This is the error I get when trying to encode.

/bin/sh: -c: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    /bin/sh: -c: line 3: `<textsub filename="/Volumes/ZECAMIGO/Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (Yume - 1990)/Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (Yume - 1990) CD 1.srt" characterset="ISO-8859-1" fontsize="24.0" font="Arial.ttf" horizontal-alignment="center" vertical-alignment="bottom" left-margin="60" right-margin="60" top-margin="20" bottom-margin="30" subtitle-fps="23.976" movie-fps="23.976" movie-width="720" movie-height="480"'

It's a slightly different error when I'm just asking for a preview.

Two questions:

1. Could it be because it is on a USB disk MS-DOS formatted?
    2. Should I try to convert de AVI file first and only after add the subtitles?

Thank you very much?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Solved.

I simplified the name of the files and folders involved (no spaces, braces or apostrophes) and it worked.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to hear that you solved it. Although the Mac OS itself doesn't have a problem with these filenames, ffmpegx is built on unix software modules, most of which are intolerant of such characters. That's a not-infrequent source of frustration. Congratulations on figuring it out!
    Quote Quote