VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some mkv video (h264) files, with subtitles, which are not made by me. The resolution of the video files is 1920 * 1080 according to my playing software.

I have one Desktop computer (upgraded to 3gb ram, ATI Radeon X1650PRO with 256 mb vram), and one very old laptop computer (512mb RAM, Intel 82852/82855 integrated video card with only 64mb shared memory).

The video is playable on my desktop. I 'm using media player classic with ffdshow codecs to play the files on my desktop. But, I realise that my cpu usage grow to about 5x % while playing the files. So, I'm not dare to play the files on my old laptop as I worry that it will make my laptop hang.

So, is there any FREEWARE or FREE SOFTWARE, or any ways which can make my video files friendly on my laptop? I'm only a student with no income.

I don't mind to convert the videos. But I want the subtitles can be played.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4PSP. Convert to Xvid using the AVI Hardware preset and a resolution of 640 x nnn (Xvid4PSP will sort out the calculations for you) and it should play on your old machine. Keep the bitrate down to 1200-ish.

You will notice a very large change in the quality, but this is unavoidable.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote