VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have 5.1 channel speaker system hooked up to my PC with 6 RCA cables, but music plays only on 2 speakers because it's stereo.

There is a "6 channel stereo" option on the speaker receiver but it doesn't work with the surround sound input, so I would to do this in the computer.

Does anyone know how to make music play on all 6 speakers? It would sound way better with the subwoofer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Also, does anyone know how to do this without using a player other than iTunes?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Depending on the sound card, Creative, or say an internal Realtek HD, they usually have software that comes with them that allows you to simulate the music much like a home ampl. Like a concert hall selection, or 6 Speaker Sound. So I would identify which type of audio you have, on board or what and what brand and then go to their respective website and download the driver and software.

These settings will usually over ride any player like Media Center, Nero Player, VLC etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As pointed out, your sound card settings should be able to do this. I have a Creative X-Fi sound card coupled with a 6.1 speaker system and a feature named CMSS-3D Surround achieves this task. This enables stereo sound to simulate a multi-surround output to all 6 speakers.

Look at your sound card settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI make sure you are using the SPEAKER output instead of SPDIF. SPDIF is meant for coaxial output. It needs to be set to speaker output so it outputs analog instead of digital (assuming your using analog speakers with the three headphone jacks for center/sub, front left/right and rear left/right of course).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use the S/PDIF coaxial output from my computers and connect them to my surround sound amplifier and speakers. Even with that, you may have to set the software player to output 5.1 or similar. I use VLC most times and you can select the audio channel configuration with it.

Or if you have powered computer speakers, you may need to check your motherboard manual. Some motherboards use the audio input jacks as output for some of the audio channels for 5.1.
    Quote Quote