VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I record home videos on a Canon HG1 HD harddrive camcorder and copy them to my PC. But now what? I've yet to find a single program that would help me manage and organize my clips.
    I'd like to be able to sort them easily for later editing.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Storage and sorting can all be handled by how you name your files.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already manage my clips manually with file explorer.
    Unfortunately explorer is a poor interface for managing video files. The clips are extracted by recording date, which is great. But adding information makes the file names rather ugly:

example: 20090123171924 - Tom Meets Emily for the First Time while their Dogs Growl at Each Other.m2ts

Not to mention that Windows doesn't natively understand m2ts. I use VLC for playback but that doesn't let me browse the clips in a natural manner.

Also clipping off the start and end garbage in a lossless way is non-trivial either. (Possible using ImageMixer but not comfortable.)

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DAM = digital assets management.

Adobe Bridge CS3 and CS4 can sort of be a DAM. It's not quite a full DAM.

Read The DAM Book. It says "for photographers", but the techniques equally apply to video.

It involves software that acts sort of like blogging/bookmarking, in managing files. You end up using tags, in addition to good file ames and folder structures.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Krispy Kritter, i couldn't disagree more. Using file names and directory stucture alone really works only if you have a very small number of files--something I learned the hard way. A collection of any real size requires more careful management. How do you attach a description of the video? What if you want to find all the videos that include a specific person/people? Or in a certain location? Or where the subject was of a person performing a specific activity? Etc.

I second Lordsmurf's suggestion of the DAM Book. It is an excellent resource.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hate to re-ask the same question, but is there ANYTHING that works for organizing clips? I need to start a clip archive for work that will be keyworded, sorted by date, sorted by name, sorted by aircraft, etc. I found Riverfold's Clipstart at http://www.riverfold.com/software/clipstart/ but it's for Mac only. I'm running Windows.

In shirt, I'd love to find something like a video version of iPhoto or a PC version of Clipstart.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Mightyjak! I found it! Try downloading Videophile II at http://videophile.freeforums.org/latest-public-download-version-1-4-0-beta-t2.html

You can thank me later!
    Mightyjak
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For anybody that may be interested, version 1.6.0 was released yesterday...
    Quote Quote  
  9. I downloaded Vee Hive for my Win 10 64bit system, but it does not play MP4 files. I started several times to download the LAV Filters, but each time I backed out because the web sites used questionable tactics. Is there a SAFE way to load the necessary CODECS into the system for Vee Hive to work?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can get LAV filters quite safely from the Doom forum

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post

Thanks, I have them installed. I don't think Vee Hive is what I am looking for. I need to be able to organize all the segments of each of my shots so I can find them when I'm composing a video. I am looking into MoviePile right now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by volantis View Post
    Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post

Thanks, I have them installed. I don't think Vee Hive is what I am looking for. I need to be able to organize all the segments of each of my shots so I can find them when I'm composing a video. I am looking into MoviePile right now.
    That's exactly what Vee-Hive was designed to do....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    That's exactly what Vee-Hive was designed to do....
    I thought it was, but it appears those functions are reserved for the purchased version. I don't mind paying for software that I know works, but I'm not going to pay for something I can't try out, first. I have lots of software I have purchased because I was promised it would do what I want only to find out it was lacking in some important way.

Fast Video Cataloger is fully functional in demo mode. I'm trying it out now and I may end up purchasing it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Every single NEW Library has a 30 day trial in Vee-Hive. In theory, you can try it out forever....

I'll update my site to reflect that...
    Quote Quote