VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some help please. I have already installed Driver Genius Pro (trying it out) to find updates for my drivers. Before i pay for this software to allow me to install my updated drivers , I want to know if there is a better program out there. I want to reformat my PC. I have Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. Question is, is there a better or best driver update program out there that can backup my drivers into an executable so that when i reformat i can reload drivers. No I don to have drivers for my Dell XPS600 computer. Lost cd. Driver Genius does what i have said here, but I think there is something out there better(unless you guys think this is good). Driver Genius did not update for example my picasa software or my ESET NOD32 software, and i know there is updates for these. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. i wouldn't pay for a driver update software. it's just as easy to go to the various manufacturer's websites and download them yourself. dell has all their drivers online. do it before re-formatting the hard drive and installing windows.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Exactly, go to the dell website the back of a tower/bottom of a laptop have a service tag on dells that gets you to the right drivers.

Why pay for free stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see your point, but I thought that these programs updates all your software drivers, including the dell ones. I though it would be easier. I forgot to check Dell site, Dohh! But if you had to use one of these update driver programs, would you happen to know which one is better. I had reformatted my friends HP laptop, and even going to their site, it was a pain to get certain drivers. I figured a program like this would find them easier. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. updating drivers is not the same or include updating software. drivers are only for the hardware in the box.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're set up doing it this way, try DriverMax (free) ... haven't used it extensively, but it allows you to created a stand-alone "restore" program that will re-install your current driver set into a "clean" OS after a re-build.

Trev
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks TJohns, will try. Much appreciated. And thank you all for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Major problem with automatic updating is that an assumption is made that the latest update or revision is something that you actually want. Often, these Create more problems than they solve.

I do this all the time with various PCs, takes but a few minutes to find and download manually, get the set you need that works and burn it to a CD. By installing them manually, it is easier to pinpoint the one particular update or install that causes problems, rather than looking at a non-functioning PC that just had half a dozen updates, troubleshooting is much more involved.

I usually remove such auto-update programs when found. More dangerous than helpful.
    Quote Quote