VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Everybody. This is my first post. I have been searching for answers for days now as to why I cannot convert most of my FLV's that I have downloaded from various sites including YouTube. At first i though it was some new codec being used by YT. But to the best of knowledge (apart from adding new formats like MP4) there hasnt been a change in the FLVs anytime recently.

So the reason im even trying to convert them is because i want to watch them on my DivX player (DVD player which supports DiVX) I have been using AVS Video Converter 5.6 to Batch encode 35 FLV's to DivX *.avi.

All my old FLV's (hundreds) converted with hardly any probs, but about half of the FLV's Dowloaded this year (i.e. since Jan 01 Approx) wont convert. Infact AVS wont even open them, the app just freezes. Ive tried a crap load of other Conversion Utility's and none of them work on these particular files. Some of these include (but certainly not limited to) Riva, FLV to AVI, Pinnacle Studio 10.7, Vegas platinum 8 actually i cant think of all them now, but theres heaps. Ironically they do play (quite well) in winamp (prolly coz I got a crap load of codecs installed) a few other players will play audio but no video. Of course these played in Firefox before downing them. Oh yes I use Flashget to down them. I think VLC plays but yeh nothing seems to encode them I also tried Metadata Injector to no avail.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Is anybody else experiencing this, particularly since Jan 09
    2) what can one use to veiw metadata, indexes, header info (if any) and all thattype thing. I tried notpad and word pad, but barely anything is legible
    3) is there a simple app with GUI I can use to repair this type of coruption (if corrupted at all)
    4) is it some kind of new protection for FLV's
    5) is it a new type of FLV codec
    6) do you think its a download corruption generaly, or one caused by Flashget,

So to briefly sumarise my prob

all the Mp4 files I down convert no problem, but around 1 third to 1 half of the FLV's dont work for conversion, however do play on some players (i.e. winamp & a few others) Also on some players only audio and no video. Also Metadata Injector did nothing in the way of assisting conversion.

Thank you in advance, sorry if I left anything out
    R.I.P. MUM 1936 - 2009 I'll Be missin' you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's #5, probably. The ability to use h264 encoding in FLVs was recently introduced, so make sure your converters and FLV splitters, etc., are all up-to-date.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote