VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked the forums and really didn't find what I needed. I was thinking of getting a universal remote (harmony 550). Do these remotes really provide the functionality of the original? Can I program my DVD recorder, VCR, TV, etc. Do they just more or less turn the devices on and off, play, change channel or volume, etc. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Logitech Harmony makes the best universal remotes available. You can program them for everything - all the special codes that you will ever need are available via their website.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Bought a 555 last week. Yes - They do everything the original does, in fact in one case surprisingly does more.

You need to spend a little time planning how you want things to work before you actually start to setup the remote.

Had some minor problems which were very well dealt with by customer service here in UK whom I rate 10/10. All working great.

Malcolm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I threw my Harmony 550 away after I found this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Remote-Control-URC-R50-Digital/dp/B001KC08AE/ref=pd_bb...6383930&sr=8-1
    Now I couldn't be happier.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even at a reduced price of $80USD, it's too much to spend on a remote. This is more than I spent on my last 2 DVD recorders! And the control codes aren't even in the Harmony or any other remote. I got 3 real remotes for my recorders for less than 1/2 of the reduced price! In these days of heavy recession/depression you aren't going to be seeing anybody throwing anything away. Maybe you can sell your old remote and recoup some of the cost of that new one...
    Quote Quote