VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to get my father all set up to record his shows onto DVDs in his recorder, but of course for most channels he is getting a copy protection error and the recording stops about 18 seconds in.

Is this Macrovision in essence (similar to VHS->DVD issues) ? Would putting this device in between the cable box and DVD recorder using the S-video ports fix it?

http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To test for Crapovision, try recording from the cable box to a VCR. If a VCR will record it with no video problems, your problem is an analog broadcast flag. A VCR will not obey the "do not record" broadcast flag, but it will record it.

Per chance and for other purposes, I recorded 10 seconds of an ABC promo (Grey's Anatomy) on Feb 13, 2009. When I went to the title list, I saw this short recording marked with an icon indicating it was copy protected. The source was a clear QAM cable channel for WCIS, the recorder was a Philips 3576H. I made a test tape (VHS). which starts with browsing around the title list, then playing the copy protected ad, then playing the very next recording, which started with another ad and the continuation of the stinky program (The Bachelor), and then whatever came off the tuner after the second recording ended.

When I played the tape back to the Philips, it thru up an error message and paused the recorder when the 10 second ad started, then continued recording after the 10 second ad ended. The completed recording was marked with the no copy Icon. Editing out just a bit either side of were the ad would have been, had it been recorded, removed the no copy Icon and I was able to dub the edited recording to a +RW.

Hooking a Sima CT-2 between the VCR and the Philips stripped out the no copy analog flag, which allowed the entire test tape to be recorded normally, EXCEPT the closed captions were also stripped. I do NOT recommend the Sima CT-2 .....must use the "darker" mode with most, but not all tapes. There are newer and better boxes out there but I haven't tried any of them.

Also captured the test tape with a Hauppauge PVR 250 (WinTV2K) and a ATI Wonder Elite (Power Cinema 3). Neither TV card obeyed nor perpetuated the stinkin no copy flag, which was verified by playing a DVD +RW back to the Philips 3576H.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a link for a box that CLAIMS not to strip the closed captions.

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

Have no personal knowledge about it.
    Quote Quote