VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that their aspect ratio, frame rates, etc are very different so how would I be able to combine them? This is their info:
    First Part
    General
    Complete name : C:\VTS_01_6a.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 350 MiB
    Duration : 43mn 35s
    Overall bit rate : 1 123 Kbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2178/release

Video
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Streaming Video@L1
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Bit rate : 986 Kbps
    Width : 672 pixels
    Height : 368 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.133
    Stream size : 307 MiB (88%)
    Writing library : XviD 1.2.0.dev47 (UTC 2006-11-01)

Audio
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Minimum bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Stream size : 39.9 MiB (11%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 67 ms (2.00 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration : 504 ms
    Writing library : LAME3.97b
    Encoding settings : CBR

Second Part
    General
    Complete name : C:\VTS_01_6b.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 177 MiB
    Duration : 16mn 3s
    Overall bit rate : 1 543 Kbps
    Writing library : VirtualDub build 18160/release

Video
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Streaming Video@L1
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Bit rate : 1 403 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.152
    Stream size : 161 MiB (91%)
    Writing library : XviD 49

Audio
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Video delay : 17ms
    Stream size : 14.7 MiB (8%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 33 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
    Quote Quote  
  2. Combine them how? AVI, DVD, what? The framerate of both is the same. The audio bitrate of both is the same. The main stumbling block here is the different resolution of the 2 AVIs.

Since the widescreen one is the longer of the two, you probably want to make the second one widescreen also by adding black to the right and left sides. Exactly how you'd do that is determined by the output format you want. In any event, reencoding will be necessary for at least one of them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The original plan was to combine them in an avi widescreen or tv aspect ratio which ever looks better and then make it into a DVD. I was going to use AVI2DVD but that has been given me problems lately so I wil probably use other software. I did try winff which did help alot in making the avis but you can't seem to be specific about the aspect ratios.
    Oh by the way, these avis don't have the same frame rate because when trying Virtualdub 1.8.8 I got an error message saying that the first stream is 29.97003 samples/sec and the second stream is 29.97000 samples/sec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Han Solo1
    Oh by the way, these avis don't have the same frame rate because when trying Virtualdub 1.8.8 I got an error message saying that the first stream is 29.97003 samples/sec and the second stream is 29.97000 samples/sec.
    I was just going by the information you supplied. That's a common VDub problem. One workaround is to open the 29.97003fps one in VDub, Direct Stream it, and change the framerate to 29.97fps before then joining it with the other one. Or make them both 30fps, join them, and then reset the framerate to 29.97fps. Or use AviMux-GUI for the job as it's more forgiving about this kind of thing. Or both reset the framerate and do the resizing in an AviSynth script yourself:

A=AVISource("C:\Path\To\Video1,avi",False)#False disables the audio
    B=AVISource("C:\Path\To\Video2,avi",False)#False disables the audio
    A=A.Lanczos4Resize(720,480)
    A=A.AssumeFPS(29.97)
    B=B.Lanczos4Resize(528,480)
    B=B.AddBorders(96,0,96,0)
    B=B.AssumeFPS(29.97)
    A+B
    ConvertToYUY2()#For CCE and some other encoders

Demux, join the audio separately, make it DVD compliant (convert to AC3 audio), and rejoin it with the video during authoring. It can also be joined in the script. The 672x368 video just needs a straight resize to 720x480. The 640x480 one gets resized to 528x480 and then has black pillar bars added to the sides to fill it out to 720x480 before being joined to the first one. Encode as 16:9.

That's if they really have to be joined before making the DVD (they don't). I don't use the programs you mentioned so I can't help there. However, I believe FAVC (and I'm sure other programs) can do the job for you. Here's a guide:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/FAVC_Video_to_DVD_Guide_page1.html

Edit: I edited line 3 of the script later to correct a mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried using FAVC and when I try to generate a DVD with these two files I get the following [img]https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1945465/.

Also I am new new to AviSynth scripting so when I copy and paste the script to avsedit I get the following when I try to preview [/img]

Also as I am new to this scripting so I saved the script and tried to load it to Virtualdub 1.8.8 and it wouldn't load because it is in an avs format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. As for the line 3 error, that's my mistake. Instead of A=Lanczos4Resize(720,480), it should be A=A.Lanczos4Resize(720,480). I apologize for the error. And you edited the first 2 lines to reflect your different names and paths, I guess?

The FAVC guy, Mr. Odwin, is a frequent visitor to this forum. Maybe he'll see this thread, because I have no idea what the error means.
    Also as I am new to this scripting so I saved the script and tried to load it to Virtualdub 1.8.8 and it wouldn't load because it is in an avs format.
    VDub and all of its varients accept .avs files just as they do many different kinds of videos. Either File->Open Video, or drag and drop into VDub. If the .avs is good, you'll immediately see the video. If the script is no good, it'll throw out an error like the one AVSEdit gave you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You were right about the script error and Vdub does work with the script by the two methods that you mentioned. I was trying to run the script through the run script option under file. Vdub is running the script but the projected file size is 106GB. That seems to be too big and the only reason that I wanted to combine the the two files in this way is just to have a consistent resolution when viewing the video. Anyhow I stopped it from running any further.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vdub is running the script but the projected file size is 106GB
    That's b/c you need to pick a compression codec...Go to Video>Compression ,and pick one( i.e Xvid)...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you have a pressing need to actually merge you can load the 2 AVIs into DVD Flick (free). Hit 'Edit' and set both to 16:9. You'll have a final 16:9 DVD where both AR's are properly displayed (the 4:3 source will have side bars).

Have done it with music vids, works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Han Solo1
    Vdub is running the script but the projected file size is 106GB.
    As t0nee1 menti0oned, you have to set and configure a codec. Since the end result is to be a DVD, you'll want to open the script in an MPEG-2 encoder (unless you want to test it out by making an XviD or something). VDub is good for testing out a script, but it's not an MPEG-2 encoder. For free, HCEnc is hard to beat. Once the script checks out, open it in HCEnc, configure it,, perhaps by following a guide, and then let it encode the video. Join and convert the audio, and then author using the freeware Muxman, or, if you want menus, using the freeware DVDAuthorGUI or GUI4DVDAuthor.

Or, if you still prefer going all-in-one, give MysticE's suggestion a try.
    Quote Quote