VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to burn some AVI files on a DVD.
    I tried a DVD-R and a DVD+R using Nero 6.
    In both cases the DVP5982/37 complained about "unknown disc".
    What am I doing wrong?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you finalize the disc? Don't use Multisession.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I chose "No multisession"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Which template did you use. Try DVD-ROM ISO or DVD-ROM UDF/ISO.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVD-ROM ISO
    ISO9660:1999
    Label: Il était une fois... l'Homme
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ummm...

Just use ImgBurn>Write Files/Folders to disc>drag and drop files into window>burn

Done!!

The only thing i use to burn avi's to my media to watch.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It sounds like you're doing everything right. You might try downloading the Divx Test CD ISO. See if that works. Use Nero's Buring ROM's Burn Image option.

http://divxtest.surdvd.com/sommaire.php3?lang=en
    http://divxtest.surdvd.com/sommaire.php3?lang=fr
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Okay..
    I'm confused here

Why not just use ImgBurn ??

I don't have anything against nero, usually, but ImgBurn is pretty much foolproof doing it the way i said.

Quote Quote  
  9. Could accented (French) characters in the title and/or filenames cause this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Alexo
    Could accented (French) characters in the title and/or filenames cause this?
    I don't think so. It's worth a try though. Remove the diacriticals from the volume name too.

Nero Burning ROM is usually pretty foolproof when making data discs like this. As long as you choose DVD-ROM ISO, No Multisession. You might do as Noahtuck suggests and try Imgburn.

Oh, and just to sure: start Nero Burning ROM directly. Don't use Nero's Start Smart or Nero Express. (Those may work properly but I always start with Nero Burning ROM directly).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alexo
    Could accented (French) characters in the title and/or filenames cause this?
    I don't think this will cause the error message you see. My old Philips DVP-642 will just display "weird" characters (for English this means anything with accent marks, etc.) with something like ~.

Take the disc you made. Can a PC play it? If not, you have something wrong in your process. Maybe you are not finalizing the discs. Maybe the disc brand is bad quality and your DVD player doesn't like it. Generally speaking Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the only consistently reliable high quality brands available now, although in Europe there is still some small chance that Sony and TDK might still be OK, depending on who made those discs for them. Try burning at a slower speed such as 4x. Many people burn questionable media at the highest speed possible and their problems are solved when they burn at much slower speeds.

Finally, note that many people burn AVI files that cannot be played on DVD players. If your AVI files have resolution greater than 720x576, they will never work. However, I would not expect those to cause an "unknown disc" error message.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you all!

ImgBurn proved to be a success.
    However, the file names were only 8 characters. Is it possible to display more on that player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the player does support longer filenames - though I'm not sure whether or not you have to install the modified firmware for that. What disc settings did you use in Imgburn?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think the Philips 5990 and 5992 support 13 character file names (extensions aren't shown). DVD ROM can vary from 8.3 to something much longer -- like 256 depending on the version of the ISO 9660, UDF, Joilette spec that is used. If you are only seeing 8 characters I would suspect the problem is in the way the DVD was burned.

There are mod firmwares for the 5990 (I think these work on the 5992 too -- but you should check, and beware, these are not supported by Philips) that support much longer file names. Something like 40 characters.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP was asking about the 5982, though. I'm not sure whether or not vb6rocod has modified any firmware for the 5982... and in a quick search of the VH forums, all I mainly found was another firmware modified by someone else.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Ah, sorry. I misread the model number.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Did you finalize the disc? Don't use Multisession.
    I've got a 5982 it has no problems with multi-session DVDs. I just use Nero Express-> DATA DVD and just drag/drop. About as foolproof as you can get.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jagabo
    I think the Philips 5990 and 5992 support 13 character file names (extensions aren't shown). DVD ROM can vary from 8.3 to something much longer -- like 256 depending on the version of the ISO 9660, UDF, Joilette spec that is used. If you are only seeing 8 characters I would suspect the problem is in the way the DVD was burned.

There are mod firmwares for the 5990 (I think these work on the 5992 too -- but you should check, and beware, these are not supported by Philips) that support much longer file names. Something like 40 characters.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675.html
    I used the default settings. I believe it was ISO9660+UDF.
    And that's 5982. Don't know about modified firmware for that one.
    Quote Quote