VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony Handycam DCR-HC42. I have recently started streaming my videos to my pc via usb and using windows video maker. The first batch I did worked fine. I used the largest setting for videos and got passable image quality and sound quality.

I recorded a new video over the same tape and attempted to stream it to my pc. Unfortunately the quality on the pc has dropped drastically. Now it appears very pixelated and basically an indistinguishable blob. The lcd display on the camera shows the same quality images as it did before. Did something happen to my usb connection to slow it down or do my heads need cleaning? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the recording quality changed or your output settings in WMM changed.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have tried changing the file/movie size in WMM to every conceivable option but they all turn out the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you verified any quality settings on the camera? As most cameras use a small LCD for viewing, you aren't likely to notice any difference in a low quality recording and a high quality recording.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tested using footage that i have streamed before. Before I got a great picture, now, the exact same tape and footage comes through very pixilated and low quality. it is like my windows movie maker program is messed up. i wonder if i can re-install it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. the usb port on a sony minidvd cam should only be used to transfer still pictures. any video needs to be captured over the firewire(ieee1394/ilink) connection. use windv on the computer end to write the files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    as stated above, i have successfully transfered via the usb cable before. if i had a firewire cable i would use that but i dont.
    Quote Quote  
  8. a firewire cable is cheap and there is no other way to get full resolution video off of a minidv.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i hooked the camera up to my tv and played the video back and the image quality is great. i am convinced i have changed a setting in the camera itself for the usb streaming or something is corrupt in the windows movie maker software. can anyone recommend a free capture/movie software other than that? any ideas what settings i could have changed in the camera it self?

i know firewire will get me the best performance but i am just looking to get back to where i was

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. the 42 manual says something about adjusting the picture quality slider setting in the "picture package" software that came on the cd with the cam....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This fixed it. All I had to do was re-install the Picture Package Software and my resolution came back. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I knew you guys could figure it out.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote