VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a WMV file and an FLV file. I want to mux the audio in the FLV file with the video in the WMV file. Is it possible to get the video stream out of the WMV on its own without re-encoding? I can handle the FLV side of things to get the audio, but I'm just not sure about how to get the video out of the WMV and then what to use to get it back together with the new audio stream.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is possible to demux only the video stream from a WMV file. Windows Media Encoder is free and contains a tool that can be used to demux WMV files.

If MKV files are OK for you, you can use any of several free tools to remux the video and audio streams together. I'd use MKVToolNix but there are other choices as well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. jman98 is referring to windows media stream editor

another option is solveig asf muxer (there is a free version floating around)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    another option is solveig asf muxer (there is a free version floating around)
    What an odd little program that is. It calls itself a "multiplexer" and yet I could find no way of actually doing that with it. It de-muxed the video stream out for me which was nice, but no way of getting it back together again with another audio stream. As I said, weird.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's weird, really. Over here it's managed to wrap a "vanilla-h264" video
    and an MP3 audio in a same ASF file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's exactly what I wanna do. Can you tell me how you selected the audio stream to add to the video? I only see one dialog box for the input file and you cannot make multiple selections with it. I can choose either the audio file or the video file as the input, but not both.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is the way I do it:

Lets say you have "file1.wmv" , with video and audio, and "file2.wma", with only audio

You open "file1" in vdub (you need the wmv plugin), set direct stream copy for video & audio, under audio, select audio from other file and point to "file2", then save. This will re-wrap the selection into an .avi file. Then you take solveig asf muxer to re-wrap that file into .asf (which you can safely rename .wmv if you want)

Another option is wmvmuxer, but it has issues with 6-ch wma
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, except that that method isn't actually using solveig asf muxer to actually multiplex anything is it? VDub is doing the muxing and that is of no use to me when my source video is WMV format since VDub won't touch WMV video since v1.3c
    Quote Quote  
  9. LOL, no offense, but did you even bother try it

Hint: I repeat, vdub wmv plugin . The benefit of this method over the windows media stream editor method is that you can even put exotic things like 6-ch AC3 into WMV

The windows media stream editor work flawlessly as well. The trick is to fully expand the boxes in the source audiences, and checkmark only the bottom box. This way you only need 1 app instead of 2...

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where do I find this WMV plug-in for VDub of which you speak? Windows Media Stream Editor won't allow me to select an MP3 as the audio input source being the very propriatry Microsh!t software it is. They believe the only audio format is WMA.

Yes I did try what you suggested, but as I said I didn't get very far because VDub just won't accept a WMV as the input source.
    Quote Quote  
  11. http://home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/index.html

So you want wmv+mp3 in wmv container? , not wmv + wma in wmv ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah that's right and it's working fine now in the latest VDub with WMV plug-in. Thanks very much. Now I just need a utility that can losslessly trim an MP3 so I can get the synchronisation correct.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You can use mp3directcut in conjunction with vdub's audio skew to get it synced up.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All done, thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote