VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. I am baffled. I need some expert advice.

I created a video using Camtasia 6 and it does not allow the movie to be exported to FLV because FLV has become deprecated in favor of the MP4 format.
    This is fine and I understand why MP4 is a better codec.

However, I have a client that absolutely needed the video to be in FLV format for a website, so I used SUPER to find out the details of the Camtasia video so I could render the MP4 using Adobe Media Encoder CS4 into an FLV format using the same audio and video details.

I adjusted the settings properly to match the original MP4 video and audio and rendered it, but the resulting FLV file is very poor quality with moving objects in the video.
    I did this many times and tweaked the settings again and again, but I still get poor quality using Adobe Media Encoder CS4.

I went back to Google for more research and I found a blog post about using FFMPEG to convert MP4 to FLV, so I gave it a try.
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -f flv -s 640x556 -r 10fps -b 600kbps -g 100 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -ab 93000 -ac 1 -y output600.flv

OMG, I was amazed!
    The quality of the FLV was nearly identical to the original MP4 and the file size was almost the same.
    It only took less than a minute to encode the 10 minute MP4 video into FLV.
    The only downside was I has to go from 192kbps to 600kbps bit-rate in which I am trying to avoid.

Questions:
    * How can ffmpeg, a free GPL software out-perform a $700 Adobe product in this scenario?
    * How come I could not produce a high quality FLV from Adobe Media Encoder CS4 without making the video bit-rate very high (1mbps+)?
    * How do I achieve the same high quality (near DVD) Camtasia 6 MP4 video in Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere or Adobe Media Encoder at such a low bit-rate (192kbps)?

The attached image shows the output of Camtasia 6. Its quality is near-dvd. crystal clear with no artifacts.

2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM