VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I converted an AVI source file on my computer to MPEG2 using SUPER (by eRightSoft). I created an ISO image and burned it to a DVD using Nero. I played it on my PS3, ran like butter. I then played it on my Phillips DVP3980, and to my dissatisfaction, found the aspect ratio to be off and the video distorted to fit my TV screen. So I go into the setup menu, change the TV Display option to 4:3 Letterbox, then to 16:9, only to discover no changes whatsoever. Finally, I tried using a different conversion program (TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress), but still the same problem.

Help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would ditch SUPER, which is fine for quick and dirty conversion of troublesome formats, but far from the best for DVD conversions.

Try AVStoDVD, DVD Flick or FAVC for AVI to DVD conversion, as the results will be far better than anything SUPER can produce.

That said, a couple of things to think about.

1. What was the source ? Not all 720 x 480/576 material is correctly flagged, and because both 4:3 and 16:9 can share the same resolution, converters can get confused. Make sure you understand your source, and over-ride automatically selected settings if necessary.

2. If you still have the Video_TS folder (ISOs are really not necessary any more), then you may be able to IFOAR2WS to fix the flags in the IFO files to tell the player to play it back correctly. Also, check the flags in the VOB files with MediaInfo or G-Spot. DVD Patcher can be used to update flags in VOB and MPG files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

When I import the MPG file into DVD Patcher, it shows that its aspect ratio is already at 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Then perhaps the IFOs are 4:3. Check in PGCEdit. Open the DVD, right-click the movie and hit "Domain Stream Attributes" to check if 4:3 or 16:9. If 4:3, change to 16:9 and Automatic Letterbox, Save, and test it out. Or try IfoAR2WS, as guns1inger suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no IFO files, only an MPG video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Renegade
    I created an ISO image and burned it to a DVD using Nero.
    Originally Posted by Renegade
    You just burned the MPG as a data disc? Sounds like your players don't handle MPGs burned as data very well. Make a real DVD, then.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    You just burned the MPG as a data disc? Sounds like your players don't handle MPGs burned as data very well. Make a real DVD, then.
    I mean, I've gotten it to work fine before by running the file through an authoring program and getting a folder containing VOB, IFO, and BUP files and whatnot, but that takes a shitload of time, and the only real problem with the MPG file is the aspect ratio. Is there anyway fixing the AR by getting around the whole authoring process?
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the video is already 16:9, but it doesn't play right when using the standalone to play it to your TV set, then either the standalone or the TV set is set up incorrectly (you said you already checked that), or the standalone can't play 16:9 MPEGs correctly. I don't see any other choices there. So ... author to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    I mean, I've gotten it to work fine before by running the file through an authoring program and getting a folder containing VOB, IFO, and BUP files and whatnot, but that takes a shitload of time, and the only real problem with the MPG file is the aspect ratio. Is there anyway fixing the AR by getting around the whole authoring process?
    If you already have a DVD compliant mpg file, and authoring takes more than around 15 minutes, then either you don't have a compliant mpg file, or you are doing something very wrong. Simple authoring should be a very quick process.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote