VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I have a RMVB file which I tried converting using WinAVI Video Converter 8.0. I successfully converted it into DVD format. But there was no volume at all.

I tested the original RMVB file using Real Player and it played well with sound. However, when I tried playing on Windows Media Player and DivX player, there was no sound.

Can anyone help me how to solve this problem of converting a RMVB file to DVD format using WinAVI Video Converter 8.0? What do I have to do in WinAVI Video Converter to get the sound/audio going?

Also, I am curious why there is no sound using Windows Media Player or DivX player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Problem One : WinAVI Convertor. Not a reliable or trustworthy tool. Don't be surprised if you get unwanted/incomplete results.

Problem Two : Windows Media Player/Divx Player. Not great players and again, not to be trusted for reliable results.

Problem Three : RMVB. Probably the worst source format to be converting from, necessitating the use of low grade software like WinAVI, because decent software won't touch it.

Start by using something more reliable to test your results. I would suggest either Media Player Classic Home Cinema, VLC or The KM Player. Any of these would be better that what you are using now, and rule out system issues by using thier own built-in codecs.

If they show that WinAVI has screwed the audio (and it may well have) you can try upgrading WinAVI, or perhaps try using SUPER to convert just the audio to AC3. You can then re-author using the video the from WinAVI, and the audio from SUPER.

Or you can find a better source so you can use reliable conversion tools.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guns1inger. Thanks for the reply. I have been using WinAVI Video Converter for a while now and found it very easy to use.

Does anyone know how to tweak WinAVI Video Converter 8.0 to do the required job -- i.e. produce audio when I convert a RMVB file to DVD format?

Also, what other softwares (preferably free ones) are there that can do what WinAVI Video Converter does -- i.e. convert AVI, DivX, MPEG, RMVB, xvid, etc to DVD/VCD format with the inclusion of subtitles (.srt files)?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FAVC, AVStoDVD or DVD Flick will all convert most formats to DVD, and are far more reliable and higher quality than WinAVI.

Everything struggles with RMVB, as RMVB was not designed as a source for converting to other formats, and Real make is as difficult as possible to do so.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guns1inger. Thanks once again for the reply and advise.

Do all the 3 softwares you listed (FAVC, AVStoDVD and DVD Flick) convert RMVB files to DVD WITH AUDIO????????

Which one of the above is the easiest to use and also can allow the inclusion of subtitles (.srt)?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They all handle subtitles in .srt format. They are all different in their interfaces, so which is easiest is probably dependent on you. FAVC puts everything out on a series of tabs, with nothing to go hunting for. DVD Flack and AVStoDVD tend to have some settings easy to find, and others you need to go look for.

Will they convert RMVB files - who knows. RMVB video conversion is a hit and miss affair. Sometimes they convert without too many issues. Sometimes they will confound software that worked fine with them yesterday. They are an ugly source to work with, and no software I know of will guarantee to work with them first time, every time.

The best I can offer is that you do what the rest of us do, and experiment. Unless you are on the cusp of a cure for cancer or world hunger or poverty, and literally have to spend every waking moment on it to solve that last issue, you have time to play and find out for yourself what works for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guns1inger.

Unfortunately, the files are only available in RMVB format. I wish they were avi files!

I'll try and give FAVC a go later.

Meanwhile, any users who have similar problems but have found a way to convert RMVB files successfully to DVD format (with audio of course), please contact me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you actually confirmed that there is no audio ?

Have you tried converting the audio alone so you can remux and get a complete video ?

Have you tried searching through the User Guides forum ? Something like this ? https://forum.videohelp.com/topic289872.html?highlight=rmvb
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guns1inger.

Yes, I have actually tried to convert them to DVD files. And I actually wasted 2 discs in doing so. I thought they would turn out okay but alas no audio!

Urmm....I am a newbie here and newbie in these "conversions". How do you convert audio alone so that I can remux and get a complete video? What software do I have to use?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guns1inger.

I also wish to iterate that the RMVB file played well in RealPlayer but when I use Windows Media Player or DivX player, it played BUT there was no audio at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are, I suspect, missing a codec, which is why converted files will be empty as well.

Start with Media Info and get it to tell you, if it can, what is actually in the file.

Do you use Real Player, or Real Alternative ?

Have you updated whichever of these recently ?

You might be able to use the latest SUPER to convert the audio to AC3 (Dolby Digital). You can then use DGIndex to demux the video stream only from the WinAVI converted DVD files.

You can then use GUIForDVDAuthor to create a new DVD using the video, audio and srt files you now have.

Seems complicated ?

Welcome to the wonderful world of video. RMVB just makes it that much harder again.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Ok dont listen to gunslinger here, its not the program your using its the simple codecs, i just had the same issue, and did every thing gunslinger told me to do, none of which worked, I use winavi myself, its eazy and converts most things if you use proper codecs, any how this is the codec name that solved my issue, and worked with win avi in the converting audio and video at the same time issue with rmvb

The real player codecs to do this needed are Real alternative, google it download it, problem solved, sorry you couldnt hear this solution sooner, and probley downloaded all them programs gunslinger listed above most likly all of which gave you the same issue bc with out the proper codecs you cant do crap with any program.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Problem One : WinAVI Convertor. Not a reliable or trustworthy tool. Don't be surprised if you get unwanted/incomplete results.

Problem Two : Windows Media Player/Divx Player. Not great players and again, not to be trusted for reliable results.

Problem Three : RMVB. Probably the worst source format to be converting from, necessitating the use of low grade software like WinAVI, because decent software won't touch it.

Start by using something more reliable to test your results. I would suggest either Media Player Classic Home Cinema, VLC or The KM Player. Any of these would be better that what you are using now, and rule out system issues by using thier own built-in codecs.

If they show that WinAVI has screwed the audio (and it may well have) you can try upgrading WinAVI, or perhaps try using SUPER to convert just the audio to AC3. You can then re-author using the video the from WinAVI, and the audio from SUPER.

Or you can find a better source so you can use reliable conversion tools.

first off its not the program....don't listen to this guy gundinger....he does not know what he is talking about. the programs you are using is fine. some advice to the guy who doesnt know what he is talking about .... dont try to help if you dont know jackSh1t.
    Quote Quote