VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all:

I heard of a program called Format Factory that is supposed to convert several audio and video formats.

Has anyone here ever tried this tool ??
    Can you share yr experience with it ??

Tks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure it's just yet another ffmpeg / mencoder frontend...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using it for a couple years now, does a good job hard-subbing animes.

Recently, however, I had a hard-drive crash and reinstalled Windows (I'm currently using XP sp3)
    and then a few weeks later the system crashed, so I reinstalled Windows to a second and a third folder
    and got my machine running again...... BUT, now format factory gives me error messages when
    I try to work with any movie file type, especially subbed MKV files.
    ... it won't even play back the movie during the preview window
    for me to select audio streams in the Option tab.
    I'm also using the latest K-Lite Codec pac, along with Format Factory's installed codecs.
    I think I'll have to uninstall Format Factory AND K-lite and then reinstall them both again,
    this time I won't install Format Factory's codecs.
    zozo, Magengar-Z
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use it on a regular basis. Excellent results. I convert mostly different formats to AVI. Works great with MKV. I get info from Mediainfo and use that to set up converting parameters. I use a bit rate of 3000 for MKV's and make sure that my F.P.S. and aspect ratio are the same as original. Because my DVD player doesn't like Mencoder, after conversion I run the video through MPEG4Modifier (takes about 15 seconds). and then it plays great with great picture quality on my 40" flatscreen in my up scaling Philips DVD player.
    Quote Quote