VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

I am looking for a suggestion to help with video cropping.

I have captured old 8mm home movies to my computer and I am now in the editing portion of my project. Here is the problem I have found. The footage has a border around it because when recording if I zoomed in on the camcorder to remove the border I would loose too much of the video edges.

I want to use virtualdub to crop out the borders, which I can do, but obviously this changes the resultion from 720x480 to a different size. My question is this, after cropping the video should I then resize it back to 720x480 using the resize filter, or leave it and let the dvd burning software (convertxtodvd) make it fit to the tv correctly?

When resizing I entered the size manually and Disabled Aspect ratio

BTW, is 720x480 the correct size of a video to play on a TV?

Below are some examples

Original

Cropped

Cropped then resized
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since you cropped proportionally more off the left/right than of the top/bottom you can't just stretch it back to 720x480 -- you are distorting the image. You want to resize proportionally and add black borders to fill in the difference. Or just crop proportionally and resize back to full frame. For example, crop 16 off the top, 24 off the right, and resize back to 720x480.

Also, keep in mind that the outer edges of the frame won't be visible on most TVs because of overscan. With no cropping at all the fade to black at the right edge will probably be visible but cropping and resizing is going to lead to an overall fuzzier picture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mask it, don't crop it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how do you mask?
    Quote Quote  
  5. In VirtualDub use the Fill filter.
    Quote Quote