VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think this falls under Software Playing, but I'm new and wasn't sure, and it's pretty basic.

My tv and dvd player are NTSC, but my laptop can play PAL dvds. If I connect my NTSC TV to my laptop can I watch the PAL dvds (and other PAL video files) I'm watching on my laptop on my TV? Or does it still not work just because of the PAL/NTSC difference?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It should work as long as you set the refreshrate to 60Hz.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by billybadbreaks
    I think this falls under Software Playing, but I'm new and wasn't sure, and it's pretty basic.

My tv and dvd player are NTSC, but my laptop can play PAL dvds. If I connect my NTSC TV to my laptop can I watch the PAL dvds (and other PAL video files) I'm watching on my laptop on my TV? Or does it still not work just because of the PAL/NTSC difference?

Thanks.
    By the time PAL is displayed on the computer monitor window, or full screen it has been converted to RGB so there is no problem rescaling through the RAMDAC and encoding to NTSC.

All that conversion will take a toll on picture quality.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    normally you set the output type in controlpanel/display/properties/advanced/ <-- some tab here.. :P

oh..yeah: i remeber some of my vidcards, did autodetect the TV, if you connected the TV and rebooted the computer... then on display init, it would detect the TV and enable it.
    Quote Quote