VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a problem with my internet connection dropping out a lot lately, particularly at night starting from 6pm. I have two computers and 1 Netgear WGR614v5 router and Road Runner cable internet. Computer A uses an ethernet cable while Computer B (the one I use and am having problems with) uses a Netgear adapter.

When the problems arise, in FF it would just say "Looking up www.google.com" and would not load until it timed out. Sometimes, this would only happen for certain sites and there is no pattern with what sites worked or not worked, it's random. Sometimes, all sites wouldn't load, cannot even connect to AIM. All while this is happening, Computer A's internet is working fine. I check Computer B's wireless signal and it is 100%. I bring out my laptop to check its wi-fi and it won't work either. So I tried changing the router's wireless channel but same problem. I also pulled the power cable from the modem, power cable from the router, waited 10 seconds, and reconnected, and still same problem. I was thinking of upgrading the router's firmware but since Computer A's connection is working fine, it's not the router's problem?

Anyone use Road Runner? I noticed that on the modem, the PC light is always blinking steadily. Does that mean anything? If anyone has some advice, please let me know. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your wireless connection to your router is your specific problem, try changing channels in the router. You may have several neighbors using the same channel and causing interference and your dropouts. I use a program called WirelessMon: http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm

It has a 30 day evaluation and the price is low if you want to buy it. It shows what wireless channels are in use and other info. Most routers around here are on channel 11, so that's one I especially avoid. Most people never change the routers default channel, so a lot are on the same one.

Also moving the router may help. Sometimes it may be sitting too close to other electrical or metal devices and losing signals.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that you had tried other channels. But try WirelessMon, it has other diagnostics.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why would you say it's not the router because the wired portion is working? Is the Wireless signal coming from some other device? It is not, it is coming from the router. The modem is NOT the problem because that would cause the wired connection to fail, also. It is not the receiver on Computer B because the laptop fails to connect, also.

The ONLY single failure point is the router. Now, that is assuming that the laptop DOES function correctly on a wireless connection at other times. This needs to be verified.

So, we're looking at the router. Yes, definitely upgrade the firmware, DO THIS BY WIRED CONNECTION ONLY. If you attempt it by wireless and the connection fails while updating, you will have a spiffy new paperweight.

Check antenna connections, placement, interference from other devices. Check the Event log in Admin tools to see if there are any useful messages.

If using encryption, try disabling that for a while to see if this affects the problem. If using any "super" or "Turbo" modes, turn these off. You can also try lowering the default speed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the connections via ethernet is good ("Computer A's internet is working fine") then this is not an ISP problem, but a problem with your wifi.
    Why ask at a video forum? Try:
    http://www.wifi-forum.com/wf/
    http://www.wirelessforums.org/

My guess: interference from a neighbour.
    Use something like NetStumbler to see what's happening in the local wireless environment.

You might change channels (simplest), move the router. or get a replacement antenna on your router for a stronger signal (this just screws on /off very easily).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I used NetStumbler to check what channels everybody is using. The channel I was on and the one I switched to is the minority. Thanks for the advice, I'll check those URLs out and try the router firmware upgrade.
    Quote Quote