VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to have trouble holding audio sync when trying to encode an NTSC TV episode (they aren't set up as whole VOB files, you have to use DGIndex to find where each ends WITHIN another VOB file!). DGIndex holds sync for some of them (luckily the audio tracks have all been AC3, so I can change them to WAVs that handle the sync problem on its own, or it's supposed to anyway!), however afew have not. I tried DGIndexing separate whole VOB files, then combining them using Aligned Splice in AviSynth, then encoding but that still hasn't worked, any ideas?

Also, I had the same problem with an MKV file and a set of TS files combined using Aligned Splice as well. I use ffmpeg in my process, could it be the frame rate isn't read correctly at that step?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Constant delay or progressive delay ? Did you adjust for the delay given by DGIndex?

Retail source or cap from TV ? Decrypted properly ?

Are the lengths equal for video & audio?

Sync issues before converting or only after?

Any gaps or discontinunities/errors in the video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Constant delay, and I didn't adjust for the delay in DGIndex, the conversion to WAV is supposed to handle the delay for you, and does for everything else I've ran through it, if the source audio track is AC3 anyway. The footage was taken from a disc using AnyDVD, the video and audio lengths were the same, only a sync problem after the encode was done, everything else up until then was in sync, including the AVS file I used to encode with (did a two pass high quality encode, first through VirtualDub to get an AVI file, then through Handbrake to get an MP4), no gaps present in the source, just the weird fact I had to trim into a VOB file in DGIndex to get the proper episode end point to occur.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DGIndex is supposed to correct for the audio delay when saving as wav, but what happens when you play the .m2v and .ac3

What happens when you adjust for the delay in the avs script? (If you didn't save as wav, and did it manually save project & demux audio, then convert to AC3 with another application)

Was the intermediate AVI in sync?

Why are you converting twice? When not just go straight to mp4? (You are losing quality twice, instead of once)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saved the video without demuxing it and saved the AC3 as a WAV file, the d2v and wav files are in sync when you play them back using a AviSynth wrapper (AVS), if I adjust the delay it still plays back fine and the AVI plays back fine as well, it's only when the final encode happens that I get an audio sync problem. It does say, using Media Info, that there are 3 sets of FPS, one initial, one overall, and one average, which I've never seen before, nor is any of that info on the AVI or the DGIndex versions before it. I'm doing a double encode for file size testing and bit rate quality assessment for my own personal interests.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's likely the error was introduced by handbrake. If mediainfo reports that on the .mp4, it sounds like handbreak is doing a vfr encode.

I'm not that familiar with handbreak, but you might want to test using another application (e.g megui, ripbot264, xvid4psp, ,.... many others)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will do, will try on MeGUI, it seems to have a stable x264 encoder I can use, thanks.
    Quote Quote