VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a h264 (mkv) video. well when I encode it to xvid. the xvid got low quality image. of course I set the xvid for full quality mode (I don't care if size too large or take more space) but video seems not good. after I found that h264 used 24 bit color depth resolution and xvid used 8 bit colour depth. Now My question is how to set xvid in 24 bit color depth for get original full quality or which setting will recommended in xvid for get original full quality of the original video file Please help me...
    Quote Quote  
  2. You will never get the original quality. XviD is a lossy format

Older xvid builds had a reduced resolution mode, but the newer builds do not even support this mode. This might be causing the problem. All my encodes are 24-bit with recent builds. What version/build are you using? What software / front end are you using?

For HQ settings, set motion search to very high (6) , VHQ to wide search (4), set the quantizer to 2, set b-frames to zero. If this is for device compatibility, leave Qpel and GMC off. You may have to adjust the profile level to access some settings
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will never get the original quality. XviD is a lossy format
    Why xvid is lossy format. every body using this codec for encode their videos. so now which codec is better for get full quality of video
    Quote Quote  
  4. Don't re-encode. Just leave the original.

If you want identical full quality, you need a lossless codec (e.g. lagarith, huffyuv). This will make the filesize 10-20x bigger. These are not good for playback because of high bitrates. Again, just leave the original.

h.264 will give you the best compression, but it still is lossy (unless you use the lossless mode, but again, the filesize will be enormous)

The most common reason to re-encode is to make the file smaller, but you will always lose quality (using a lossy format)

If you use a high enough bitrate with any compression, it will look visually identical when playing, but minor differences when examining frame-by-frame and zoomed in.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray thanks for helping
    Quote Quote