VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Nothing has made me feel stupider in a long time. I was hoping maybe someone here would be so kind as to offer me guidance. I've been to the VLC sites such as
    VLC Transcoding and read posts like VLC command line help, but I'm just not making any progress. Would someone who has used the command line version of VLC look at my attempt and offer a suggestion? It seems my first problem is correctly providing the paths for source and destination. My source file is called "source.mpg" and it resides at the root directory of a volume named "SATA250". The destination file is a file on my desktop.
    The process I'm trying to run was provided to me in the form of a Windows VLC command line. It is this:
    Code:
    "c:\Program Files\Videolan\VLC\VLCPortable.exe" -I dummy source.mpg 
    :sout='#transcode{width=720,height=480,vcodec=mp2v,vb=8192,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2}:standard{access=file,mux=ps,url="destination.mpg"}' 
    vlc://quit
    The VLC application package is in my Applications folder. My attempt at a Mac OS X version of the above command so far is this:
    Code:
    /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/clivlc -I dummy "/Volumes/SATA250/source.mpg"*:sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2,deinterlace,audio-sync}:standard{access=file, mux=ps,url="/Users/me/Desktop/Output.ps.mpg"}' vlc://quit
    The errors I'm getting indicate I'm not using correct syntax for file specifications because the error message is "no file or directory".

I guess I'll have to find a VLC mailing list or forum and sign up, but I thought I might try here first. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. short answer (VLC Command Line depends on the VLC version):
    Originally Posted by llee782
    Code:
    /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/clivlc -I dummy "/Volumes/SATA250/source.mpg"*:sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2,deinterlace,audio-sync}:standard{access=file, mux=ps,url="/Users/me/Desktop/Output.ps.mpg"}' vlc://quit
    I hope it's not the real command:
    "/Users/me/Desktop/Output.ps.mpg" means nothing
    use
    "~/Desktop/Output.ps.mpg" (but I didn't verify if VLC accepts shortcuts like this)
    or "/Users/your-user-name/Desktop/Output.ps.mpg"

just for info, with my old VLC 0.8.6, I use this to capture stream (not transcode):
    […]/Contents/MacOS/clivlc -vvv [channel eg: rstp://…] --no-playlist-autostart --intf dummy --sout "#standard{access=file,mux=ts,url=[path to volume and name of the file].mpg}out-transcode-soverlay=1

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply.

I just subtituted "me" in "/Users/me/Desktop/Output.ps.mpg" for my real user name, but it's no secret anyway, I guess.

Anyway, I finally found some examples at the videolan site, and my corrected construct, which does start the process (depending on the version of the actual executable called) is
    Code:
    /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc -I dummy -vvv "/Volumes/SATA250/source.mpg" --sout='#transcode{width=720,height=480,vcodec=mp2v,vb=8192,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2}:standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=output.ps.mpg}' vlc://quit
    However, I still want to try yours, because this crashes every version I've tried with a segmentation fault. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. my command was just a capture (no transcoding)
    usefull to change wrapper for example…

PS: VLC is not a transcoder, it's a real time broadcaster (avoid to use it to transcode, the resulting file can have a lot of "holes", then a desync during playback with your DVD-Video)

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I am trying to stream from a Mac machine to a Linux machine using VLC at both server and client. The command I use at the server (Mac) is:

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC file:///Applications/VideoSample.mpg --sout='#standard{mux=ts,dst=[clientiport],access=udp}' VLC://quit

Though the streaming works fine, I am not able to get vlc to close automatically upon completing the streaming. Does VLC://quit need to be changed to something else?

I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks!
    Quote Quote