VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to rip some region 2 DVDs to region free with Mac the Ripper so they'll play on my DVD player.

if I set the machine to NOT launch the DVD player upon inserting the disc, it SHOULD just mount as a data disc right? Then I can use Mac the Ripper to rip it to region free and burn that disc right?

I don't want to get stuck switching the region on my Mac Pro, which is the 2.66 quad model.

I am running 10.5.5. is this doable? is that all I need to do is change that in the system preferences?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't worry -- the os will not change regions invisibly; it will offer a dialog box, and you can always opt not to change regions.

Do what you were planning to do: Disable auto-launch of DVD Player, let the OS mount the disc, and then do your bit. If your drive refuses to mount a disc without changing regions first, then either try this with an external drive that will, or try one of the region-control utilities that are floating around. Regrettably, the Mac tends to be more restrictive than many Windows boxen in this regard. But again, no matter what, your drive will not autonomously change region settings, so no need to worry about that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good to know. At least I don't have to worry about it switching. I can always hit cancel if the region box pops up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use 2 external Pioneer 110's flashed region free to do my ripping.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did this recently. Without launching DVD player, the OS never asked about the region.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it's pretty universal, the only time region codes are an issue is if you try to PLAY a diff. region dvd then what your drive is set to.
    Ripping a dvd you should have no issue with the region of your drive.

Flashing a drive to be region free only affects playing, not ripping.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't say they had to be flashed to rip with. I was just saying what I use.
    Quote Quote