VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So how do you take a normal wifi router and change it to act as a receiver base instead of a trasnmitter?

I recently bought a Belkin Wifi N+ router. I would like to use my Netgear Super G 108 rangemax router on my other computer as a receiver. This way I could potentially get up to a 108mb transmission speed (I know N goes up to 300 but I think 100 should be enough for streaming high def video files - at least according to windows media center through the xbox 360).

I know I'll probably end up buying an official wifi n adapter for the receiving computer but I'd like to try this first.

I was able to get my Netgear on the receiving computer through the lan port on the router instead of the internet port. It sees it but this is where I'm stumped.

How do I set it to act as a receiver? I don't need port forwarding I don't think. I just want it to connect to my belkin router.

Should I try an ad hoc connection?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    *****EDIT****
    Note: You have to be connected via a WIRED connection for this to work!
    I've got a netgear WGT624 router, so I'd think the procedure would be very similar:

1. Get the setup info for your Belkin base station (SSID, pwd/authentication, pwd protocol-WEP/WPA/etc, channel, IPaddress, etc)

2. Log onto your router admin panel via a webbrowser--try http://192.168.1.1 or whatever's appropriate for your LAN. Default Netgear logon is usually name=admin, pwd=password (both lowercase). It should still be this unless you've changed it. If you have, you can always hit the "Factory Reset" switch to return to the defaults.

3. In "Advanced Settings" there is an item/page called "Wireless Repeating Function". Enable this function, making the netgear router the repeater (with the Belkin as the base station). Fill in the info with what's gotten from the Belkin so that they can talk to each other. I'd also open up another webpage with Netgear.com to review the HELP file on these settings so you can fine tune them to your situation.

4. Save & Logout (this should reboot the router with the new settings). You should be good to go now.

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @cornucopia - Actually I have the netgear wpn824 model so it's probably similar to yours and I did see a repeating option in the configuration screen.

So using the wireless repeating function might do it then?

The netgear router would be the receiving router on the one computer connected via lan to that pc. Then it would be receiving the wifi signal from the belkin router in another room. Is that what you mean by wired?

Thanks for the insight.

EDIT - on second thought I've decided I think I'm going to return the belkin n router after all. I think it's more hassle than its worth.

Besides I saw the wd media player on the bestbuy website and its on sale for 100.00. Its a little less than what I paid for the router. I should have bought that instead. It does say it has availability at my store. i hope thats what it means. It doesn't say online only so that should mean its in stock. That should be loads easier than streaming....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote