VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a HD ready TV with ONE HDMI port , it is currently been used by my PHILIPS DVP5980 but I hope to get SKY+HD soon and that means I would have to swap em over... are these HDMI cable splitters any good? or do you lose quality with having TWO connected?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need an HDMI switch, not an HDMI splitter. Here's an example. http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/ Of course prices and selection will be different in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  3. whats wrong with an HDMI splitter? - if u cant use them whats the point of em>?
    Quote Quote  
  4. i refuse to spend £100 on summit for that job - I would rather put the extra too and get another TV with more ports , i would rather use a splitter cable or manually change em until i get a better TV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take your pick: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110
    I got a 3x1 for approx. $30 a couple of years ago and it senses when you turn on a new device and switches automatically. I don't even use the remote. Recommend getting at least the 3x1 so when you pick up that bluray player or PS3 next year.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snadge
    whats wrong with an HDMI splitter? - if u cant use them whats the point of em>?
    Like all splitters, they split the signal and the signal strength to your display is reduced. This can affect your PQ. Switchers often have signal boosters built in.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snadge
    whats wrong with an HDMI splitter? - if u cant use them whats the point of em>?
    Splitters are for sending the output from one source to multiple devices simultaneously. Splitters do not necessarily work equally well in both directions. A splitter would be useful if you wanted to watch the same channel output by your SKY receiver in multiple rooms.

Switches are used to select the output from one of several available sources for a single device.
    Quote Quote