VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a blu ray player and a HDTV hooked up to my PC via VGA at 1920x1080. My videocard does not support HDCP.

Can i still play blu-rays over VGA or will it not look as good? Movies play with or without any hd dvd being used so far im not impressed with blu-ray quality.

But i don't think im seeing true blu-ray maybe i need to go hdmi-dvi plus anydvdHD? Im going by watching terminator 2 on blu-ray.

I have it on DVD as well. The blu-ray dvd is not as fuzzy and has somehwhat more detail.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You have to use the HDMI output of Blu-ray players for HD resolution playback (1280x720 or 1920x1080).

Are you talking about a BD-ROM drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by david97
    But i don't think im seeing true blu-ray maybe i need to go hdmi-dvi plus anydvdHD?
    If you don't have a card with hdmi out and hdcp support than yes you have to decrypt it. The pressed bluray discs will not properly play over non hdmi connections. I haven't tried it but I believe it might auto downconvert to sd resolutions. So you're only watching whatever upconverting your monitor does so your losing out on the native resolution.

If you get anyddvd hd then rip you can play the files without the hdcp. However you may have difficulty playing the ripped files with players like powerdvd. I think they have limited abilities to play ripped files to prevent this type of use. You might be able to do it better with something like mediaplayerhomecinema.

But you might want to consider purchasing a slightly older video card that has hdmi and supports hdcp. If your not into gaming you won't need the fastest and newest. If you like nvida try looking for a used 8400. I am pretty certain all in that model number range are hdmi with hdcp. I don't know what the equivalent number is for ati.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote