VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For a while now I have been searching for great dvd's that play well on a all dvd players I have tried many different brands. But one day i thought of something, All professional dvd's you rent or buy play on all dvd players all the time unless there scratched badly or something like that. So what type of dvd's do the pros use over in hollywood to burn there dvd's.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They factory-press their DVDs as opposed to burning blank discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so there is no type of dvd they use ? im sorry but what do you mean by factory press
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD image is transferred to digital linear tape, and a glass master is created from that. This master is then used to press the information directly onto the data layer of the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A factory-made DVD is not burned at all. Dimples ("pits") pressed into the disc define regions of low reflectivity relative to the un-dimpled "lands." The pits are one-fourth of a wavelength deep, so that a round-trip of a laser beam is one-half a wavelength. That puts it exactly out of phase with the original beam; the two are made to combine, creating a null. A laser bounced off a land doesn't get cancelled. Factory-pressed DVDs provide the biggest signal (highest reflectivity from lands, lowest reflectivity from pits), giving the electronics a great, big signal to work with. That's why very few drives have trouble with these.

A home-burned DVD uses a dye layer that is either cooked or not cooked by a laser to define the bits, since you can't stamp these things at home. A shiny metal layer underneath thus either allows reflection, or prevents it, depending on whether there is cooked or uncooked dye above. The difference in reflectivity between cooked and uncooked regions is not nearly as high as in pressed DVDs, and that helps explain why different drives tolerate burned DVDs differently. It also explains why the particular burning strategy (how long, how much laser power) also makes a difference. And clearly, the type of dye is important, too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow, thankyou all i always thought they burn there dvd's just like we do
    Quote Quote