VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which Video App is Best for Mac?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM

I know a lot of people like me is enjoying the pre-installed iMovie application (as of iLife suite) on Mac to do most video related tasks. And iMovie '09 looks excellent to go. But recently I just find I need more advanced features to do better video editing, more than easy-to-go iMovie here. Maybe I shouldn't pay $79 to upgrade to iMovie '09. I found sorts of other video applications for Mac.... which one is the best choice other than iMovie?

iMovie
    http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/

MediaEdit
    http://www.miensoftware.com/mediaedit.html

Jahshaka
    http://jahshaka.org/

MediaWorks
    http://www.mediaworkssoftware.com/

Ableton Live
    http://www.ableton.com/

Video Funhouse
    http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/ProductPages/VideoFunhouse.html

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Final Cut Express and then Final Cut Studio.

Apple designed iMovie to be just that: an entry level app.
    Once you've outgrown it ( freshman) you upgrade to
    Final Cut Express ( sophomore/ junior) and once you've
    mastered that, you move on to Final Cut Studio ( senior).
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Odd that you didn't include Final Cut Express in the poll. Also, you should check out the iMovie HD which preceded iMovie 08. It is entirely different. If you don't have iMovie HD I believe it is a free download at Apple if you have iMovie 08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has been pulled from Apple's website, brother Fro.
    They believe their own press regarding iMovie '09
    meeting or exceeding the needs of iMovie HD users.
    lol

You can still google for it though...I plan to put it on my website
    in the free section for users who still want it as well.
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering if they still offered it. That could serve as an incentive to find an iLife 06 disc or pull it out of an OS install package for Macs that came bundled with iLife 06. It is a good movie editor if you don't have the cash for FCE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fro, that's what I'm planning to do and I should have it available
    on my website by tomorrow.
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's important to remember that iMovieHD ('06) expects to work with DV-Stream so it will convert other formats to DV-Stream when it imports. The newer versions work natively with MPEG4 and many of the newer camcorders are shooting in MPEG4/H264.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    It's important to remember that iMovieHD ('06) expects to work with DV-Stream so it will convert other formats to DV-Stream when it imports. The newer versions work natively with MPEG4 and many of the newer camcorders are shooting in MPEG4/H264.
    Yes, that's an important point with one caveat. iMovie HD does import standard MPEG 4 video but not H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz
    Yes, that's an important point with one caveat. iMovie HD does import standard MPEG 4 video but not H.264.
    Sorry; not correct. iMovieHD has no problem importing H264. I just tried it with an H264 I created with ViddyUp and another that came directly from a Samsung SCMX-20 camcorder. It is possible you may be referring to other formats that, without Perian, might not be recognizeable with QuickTime.
    Quote Quote  
  10. iMovieHD does not import AVCHD (aka videos from HD camcorders)
    use iMovie7 and greater to import/convert theses streams, take a look to the content of folder "iMovie Events" and give the converted files to iMovieHD.

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVCHD is a nightmare. Until the camcorder mfr's agree upon a standard (and computers get much more powerful), editing AVCHD will tax even quad-core machines.

I'm hoping that when AVCHD has a real standard, we'll start seeing hardware that will do the codec'ing for us. Maybe Canon will sell their cameras with a USB dongle containing the same chip that's in the camcorder and a small piece of software that would let that hardware take over that task. That would simplify matters. (I'm thinking along the lines of the Turbo.264 from ElGato Systems.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    editing AVCHD will tax even quad-core machines.

Transcoding AVCHD is 3 x real time at home, and editing (in iMovieHD) is not so painfull
    PS: I only have a macMini Core2Duo 1,83GHz

I'm hoping that when AVCHD has a real standard
    No hope (because of royalties/patents, there is no official specifications, just private licenses with a "how to")

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sticking with a Samsung SCMX20 (standard def) camcorder until Apple drives a AVCHD solution into place. No one else will (as indicated in a previous post) so we'll have to let Steve do it. You may not agree with everything the guy does but, without him, we'd still be doing DOS.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sticking with a Samsung SCMX20 (standard def) camcorder until Apple drives a AVCHD solution into place. No one else will (as indicated in a previous post) so we'll have to let Steve do it. You may not agree with everything the guy does but, without him, we'd still be doing DOS.
    MacWorld's site today has an item about an app that addresses the AVCHD editing issue on Macs. It is called Neo Scene. At $129 a pop you'd think they could afford someone who can design a decent Web page.
    Quote Quote