VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Now that I'm reciveing DTV channels, I recorded an episode of House in DTV instead of analog TV. When I use analog TV, I can bring the mpg file into Ulead DVD Movie Factory and burn a DVD with it that plays fine. Now with a DTV source (I only have one setting in the capture menu for DTV of Mpeg ) when I bring the video clip in, I only see the top left quarter of the source. I also get Dolby audio but the video is useless and takes a very long time to process (50x slower than the analog source).

Is there a secret to convert this file to a usable format or another tool that I should use? I searched around to see if there was already a topic on this but found none.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try "fix" the dtv mpeg stream in videoredo using the quickstream fix or run it through pvastrumento and make a new mpg file that might work better in ulead.

If that wont help try other authoring tools like tda.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, House would be in 1280x720p/59.94 so you will also need to downscale to 720x480p.

Alternative is to buy an ATSC DTV converter box which outputs 720x480i.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've never used it, but HDTV2MPEG supposedly can convert HD captures to DVD compliant video and it was free.

If you're not experienced it can be a little tricky for newbies to use, but the free HCEnc MPEG-2 encoder has a setting to produce DVD compliant output. I have used HCEnc a lot, but never for this.

Note that frame rates of 59.94 aren't valid for DVD so you'll need to cut that in half to 29.97.

Ulead is re-encoding your DTV input and that's VERY VERY BAD. Ulead is very slow and its encoder is horrible quality. It would be better to use something else first to get the video into DVD format and then import that into Ulead if you must.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the quick replys. I'll give PVAStrumento and HDTVtoMPEG2 a try tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks gang. PVAStrumento worked like a charm. I was able to create a DVD from the DTV recording. The audio and video were in sync as well.

HDTVtoMPEG2 was unable to load my file.
    Quote Quote