VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to send a bunch of movies to my mother who has a DVD Player that plays Divx. However, all these downloaded movies are xvid. Will they play on her player or do I have to convert them all? Thanks for help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Will they play on her player or do I have to convert them all?
    They'll play unless they were encoded using certain settings. These might include GMC, Q-PEL, and maybe Custom Quant Matrices. It might be best if you test them first on a friend's DVD player that also plays AVIs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Find out what kind of player she has.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The following sticky lists encoding options that may or may not be problematic for Divx/Xvid playback on DVD players:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    Note that some of these encoding options are a lot more common used in Xvid encodes. None, some or all of these may be problems on any given DVD players that supports the format (older players most likely will have problems with all of them, newer players may only choke on some of them).

Finally, it's not used a lot, but encoding with a custom encoding matrix can also cause playback problems on some DVD players. If you don't know what that means then don't worry about it. It's not common, but I have seen it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. and we thought we had problems with Beta and VHS
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You also might need to remove packed bitstream. Do this with Mpeg4Modifier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mine plays xvid. it's a portable dvd player with divx sticker on it and it plays all my xvid movies using the usb/memory stick.
    Quote Quote