VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hiya guys what would you recommend the maximum running time should be on a 4.7gb disc, without losing too much quality? I'm only askin because I have multiple avi's (Episdoes) and was wondering how many to put on one disc??? Cheers, Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would say two hours max for DVD(mpeg2), if you encode in VBR.
    You can see for yourself, go to Tools(left side this page) and check for VideoHelp calculator to see bitrate on running time.
    If you go for DivX, than much more 5-6 hours.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can squeeze more video onto your disc by lowering the resolution from FullD1 down to HalfD1 (352x480/576) or even QuarterD1 (352x240/288). The lower bitrates required to fit more video onto a disc will look better at the lower resolutions.

However it is up to you to decide what is acceptable. It's going to require trial and error for you to decide how low bitrate and how soft a picture you are willing to go in order to fit more on a disc.

Keep in mind that if you have an HD tv then if you lower the resolution it will look very bad.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the source quality as well. If these are the typical 350 mb over compressed download most people seem to "acquire" then you can probably fit 3 - 4 episodes to a disc without noticeably degrading them further.

However the best option is to get a DVD player that can playback divx/xvid material without encoding, and put 12 episodes to a disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok cheers for all your help guys
    Quote Quote